D.C. United acquires Casey Townsend from Chivas USA
Washington, D.C. (January 25, 2013) - D.C. United today announced that the club has acquired forward Casey Townsend from Chivas USA in exchange for a second round pick in the 2014 MLS SuperDraft. Townsend, the fifth selection in the first round of the 2012 MLS SuperDraft and NSCAA Second Team All-American at the University of Maryland, played in 17 games (10 starts) during his rookie year with Chivas USA, logging a goal and two assists.
"We were quite surprised that Casey was available for a trade and we pounced on it," said D.C. United General Manager Dave Kasper. "He is an exciting striker who brings a ton of energy to the attack, and we think he will be a great fit with our side. He is very happy to return to the D.C. Metropolitan area and we are equally excited to bring him back."
While with nearby University of Maryland for four years, Townsend made 85 appearances (83 starts), added 12 assists and notched 43 goals, third-best in the Terps' history. In 2011, Townsend was a semifinalist for the M.A.C. Hermann Trophy and an NSCAA All-American Second Team selection, in addition to garnering All-ACC First Team accolades for the second consecutive year. Townsend has also been a part of the United States U-17, U-18 and U-20 National Teams.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 25, 2013
- Basic objectives met in preseason opener vs. SKC - New England Revolution
- AEG President and CEO Tim Leiweke named 2012 Sports Executive of the Year - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Revs open up 2013 preseason schedule with scoreless draw - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire Loan Alvaro Fernandez to Al Rayyan - Chicago Fire
- Corey Ashe, Omar Cummings Undergo Surgery - Houston Dynamo
- Galaxy midfielder Michael Stephens aiming for a starting role in 2013 - Los Angeles Galaxy
- San Jose Earthquakes Sign Defenders Gargan, Harden - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revs Sign Forward Matt Horth - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Releases Long Tan - D.C. United
- Galaxy announce local television broadcast schedules - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Rapids sign midfielder Nick LaBrocca - Colorado Rapids
- Columbus Crew Receives Multiple Club Honors - Columbus Crew SC
- D.C. United acquires Casey Townsend from Chivas USA - D.C. United
- Chivas USA trades forward Casey Townsend - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Defender Martin Bonjour Moves On - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Rapids acquire forward Charles Eloundou in MLS lottery - Colorado Rapids
- Dynamo, Liberman Broadcasting agree to multiyear broadcast partnership extension - Houston Dynamo
- Individual tickets for first two home games on sale tomorrow at BBVA Compass Stadium - Houston Dynamo
- D.C. United signs Indonesian midfielder Syamsir Alam on loan - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- D.C. United Announce 2019 Preseason Schedule
- D.C. United and Ben Olsen Sign Multi-Year Contract Extension
- United Select Two Players in Third Round of MLS SuperDraft
- United Acquire Goalkeeper Chris Seitz from Houston
- 2019 MLS SuperDraft Update: United Acquire Player from Houston Dynamo in Double Trade