San Antonio FC Travels to Face Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC (0-1-1) will face Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC (1-1-0) at Weidner Field on Saturday, March 23 at 7 p.m. CT in the team's first away match of the season. SAFC will look to earn its first win of the 2019 campaign as well as its first victory at Weidner Field.
The Alamo City club heads into the match after falling to Portland Timbers 2 at home last Saturday, however while the team suffered just its ninth loss at home in franchise history, it showed promise on the offensive end yet again. Throughout their two matches this season, the squad has created 34 chances, with midfielder Lance Laing leading the charge with 10 key passes individually.
"We've become quite familiar with the Switchbacks over the past couple of years," SAFC Head Coach Darren Powell said. "For us, it's about making sure that we're organized on both sides of the ball and make improvements from last week. We want to make sure we execute in key moments, and that's what it boils down to."
SAFC reinforced its defense with the addition of Moises Hernandez, who joined the club on loan from FC Dallas on Thursday for his second stint with the club. Last season, the Texas native compiled 15 clearances, 10 tackles, nine interceptions, three blocks, and an 80.5 percent passing accuracy in six appearances.
The Switchbacks will look to bounce back with a win after falling 0-1 to Sacramento Republic FC last weekend. The club previously earned a convincing 4-1 win at LA Galaxy II in their season opener and will look to remain unbeaten at home against San Antonio with former SAFC forward Mike Seth leading the attack.
SAFC is 2-2-2 all-time against the Switchbacks in USL Championship play. Matchups between the two clubs have historically been tight contests, with neither team ever beating the other by a margin larger than one goal. Last season, the two also faced each other in an intense U.S. Open Cup third-round clash which SAFC eventually won in penalty kicks after a 1-1 draw through 120 minutes of play at Toyota Field.
The match marks the first of two on the road for SAFC. The team will also travel to face Austin Bold FC on Saturday, March 30 in the first edition of the Central Texas Derby prior to returning to Toyota Field on April 6 as they host Las Vegas Lights FC.
Fans can purchase tickets by contacting the SAFC sales office at 210-444-5657, by visiting http://www.SanAntonioFC.com, or downloading the official SAFC app via the iOS App Store or Google Play. Supporters can also follow the club by liking San Antonio FC on Facebook, as well as following the team on Twitter (@SanAntonioFC) and Instagram (@sanantoniofc).
USL Championship Game 3 - San Antonio FC at COS Switchbacks FC
Date: Saturday, March 23, 2019
Kickoff: 7:00 p.m. CT
Stadium: Weidner Field
San Antonio FC: 0-1-1 (16th, 1 pt)
COS Switchbacks FC: 1-1-0, (8th, 3 pts)
All-time Series: The game marks the seventh matchup between the two clubs in USL Championship play. SAFC is 2-2-2 all-time against the Switchbacks and 0-2-1 when facing them on the road.
USL Match Center
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from March 22, 2019
- Houston Dynamo Loan Four Players to RGV FC for Weekend Clash in West Texas - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Republic FC Sign Former MLS Defender Jordan McCrary - Sacramento Republic FC
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Hosts Memphis 901 FC in First Meeting Between Clubs - Philadelphia Union II
- San Antonio FC Travels to Face Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC - San Antonio FC
- Reno 1868 FC v Fresno FC Match Preview - Reno 1868 FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Hosts LA Galaxy II Saturday at Zions Bank Stadium - Real Monarchs SLC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 at Charlotte Independence - Atlanta United 2
- Republic FC Partnering with La Familia Counseling Center to Host Free Youth Soccer Clinic - Sacramento Republic FC
- RGV FC Faces Locomotive FC in First Copa Tejas Matchup - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- White Wolf Sports Marketing Joins USL's Preferred Supplier Program - USL
- Legion FC Adds Forward Eddie Opoku - Birmingham Legion FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC to Host 'SAFC International Showcase' Featuring Pumas Unam and Querétaro FC
- San Antonio FC Extends Unbeaten Home Streak to 18 Matches with 1-1 Draw vs. RGV FC
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC vs. RGV FC
- San Antonio FC Falls 0-2 on the Road to New Mexico United
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC at New Mexico United