RGV FC Faces Locomotive FC in First Copa Tejas Matchup
EDINBURG, Texas - Rio Grande Valley FC (0-2-0) will travel to El Paso to take on the Locomotive FC (0-1-1) on Saturday, March 23 at Southwest University Park. This is the first Copa Tejas match of the 2019 season.
Texas now has four teams that compete in the USL Championship League. Copa Tejas was formed by supporter groups of San Antonio FC, El Paso, Austin Bold and RGV FC. The award will be given at the end of the 2019 USL Championship regular season to the Texas team with the best head-to-head record amongst the four clubs.
Rio Grande Valley suffered a tough loss, 0-2, on March 16 when they faced Fresno FC in the home opener. The kryptonite for the Toros in that match and the previous one as well, was finishing in the final third despite attacking well. El Paso earned their first point of the season after a scoreless draw with Real Monarchs, stepping in the right direction.
This is the first meeting for both clubs since El Paso Locomotive FC became a franchise and joined the USL Championship league. Earning points is of utmost importance for both sides as they find themselves in the lower ranks of the USL Championship standings early. RGV FC midfielder Brad Dunwell is also a newcomer to the Texas rivalry series and offered his thoughts on the derby match preparation, "To be honest, we try and keep the intensity the same for any opponent, but I don't know too much about the Texas rivalry, hopefully I get a good start coming this Saturday."
Despite the fact that they are a newly formed franchise, El Paso offers challenges on the pitch with their experienced core and ball movement. RGV FC head coach Gerson Echeverry elaborated on the topic; "I felt that they move the ball extremely well, they're very organized defensively, they press high. In Utah, which is not an easy place to play because of the altitude, they went up there and pressed them, so they were forcing them into mistakes and when they had possession of the ball they were very composed. It is a veteran team, it is a team that has a lot of experience with some players who have been around for a while. Even though it is a first-year franchise it is not like a bunch of kids playing, it's a quite experienced team."
Kickoff is at 8:30 p.m. CST and will be available on ESPN+. Updates on the match will be provided via Twitter at @RGVFC or by following #SomosToros. To see more matchday information, visit www.rgvfc.com .
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from March 22, 2019
- Houston Dynamo Loan Four Players to RGV FC for Weekend Clash in West Texas - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Republic FC Sign Former MLS Defender Jordan McCrary - Sacramento Republic FC
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Hosts Memphis 901 FC in First Meeting Between Clubs - Bethlehem Steel FC
- San Antonio FC Travels to Face Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC - San Antonio FC
- Reno 1868 FC v Fresno FC Match Preview - Reno 1868 FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Hosts LA Galaxy II Saturday at Zions Bank Stadium - Real Monarchs SLC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 at Charlotte Independence - Atlanta United 2
- Republic FC Partnering with La Familia Counseling Center to Host Free Youth Soccer Clinic - Sacramento Republic FC
- RGV FC Faces Locomotive FC in First Copa Tejas Matchup - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- White Wolf Sports Marketing Joins USL's Preferred Supplier Program - USL
- Legion FC Adds Forward Eddie Opoku - Birmingham Legion FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley FC Toros Stories
- KRGV 5.2 Somos El Valle to Televise RGV FC Home Matches
- 40-Man Preliminary Rosters Released for 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup
- Late Equalizer Stuns Toros at Home
- Houston Dynamo Loan Three Defenders to RGV FC for Tonight's Match at H-E-B Park
- Match Preview: RGV FC Ready to Defend Their Home on Military Appreciation Night