Salem doubles up Warthogs, 6-3
Salem, VA - The Winston-Salem Warthogs (19-18, 58-49) lost at Salem, 6-3, Tuesday night. The win moves the Avalanche one game up in first place over the Warthogs in the southern division with 33 games left. Warthogs' starter, Ryan Rodriguez, earned a no decision. It was the fourth straight start that Rodriguez was denied his league leading tenth win. Warthogs' reliever, Fraser Dizard, suffered his seventh loss. Dizard gave up five earned runs off only four hits in only 2/3 innings in the seventh. Salem starter, Matt Albers, earned his fourth win. Albers gave up three runs on seven hits in seven inning. Rodrigo Escobar pitched the ninth inning for his seventh save.
Salem took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the second. Hunter Pence led off with a walk and advanced to third on a one out single by Pat Peavey. Pence scored on an RBI sac fly by Johnny Ash.
The Warthogs tied the game at 1 with a run in the top of the fifth. Ricardo Nanita led off with a single to left and advanced to third on a hit and run single by Gustavo Molina. Nanita scored on a sac fly RBI by Cory Haggerty.
The Warthogs scored two runs in the top of the sixth to take a 3-1 lead. Tom Collaro led off with his league leading 25th home run. Micah Schnurstein followed with a triple, his third of the season. With one out, Gustavo Molina grounded a ball to third base, where Saul Torres' throw home was jarred loose by Schnurstein. Schnurstein then tagged home for the second run.
Salem took a 6-3 lead with five runs in the bottom of the seventh off Fraser Dizard. Johnny Ash reached on a fielders choice and scored on Kevin Davidson's two-run home run. With two outs Ben Zobrist doubled and Saul Torres walked. Osvaldo Fernando pinch ran for Zobrist and scored on an RBI single by Scott Robinson. With two out Fernando Hernandez was brought in to pitch and walked Hunter Pence to load the bases. Ervin Alcantara then hit a two-run single to score Torres and Robinson.
Mike Myers and Gustavo Molina each had two hits for the Warthogs. Pat Peavey had three hits to lead the Avalanche.
The Warthogs wrap up their seven game road trip with the final of three games at Salem Wednesday night at 7:07pm. LHP Ray Liotta (1-0, 0-00) pitches for Winston-Salem. LHP Troy Patton (0-0, 0.90) will pitch for Salem. All the play by play will be heard on the internet at www.warthogs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 2, 2005
- Pelicans upend K-Tribe late, win 6-4 - Kinston Indians
- Blue Rocks pound out a season-high 18 hits in route of Keys - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Avalanche beat Winston-Salem 6-3 - Salem Red Sox
- Blue Rocks avenge Monday loss with 13-2 win over Keys - Frederick Keys
- Salem doubles up Warthogs, 6-3 - Winston-Salem Dash
- Team USA to play doubleheader tomorrow night - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Keys to honor Thurmont Little League Wednesday - Frederick Keys
- Pelicans Catcher Named CL Offensive Player of The Week - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Kinston Indians game notes - Kinston Indians
- USA Baseball vs. Nicaragua Tonight at Coastal Federal Field - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Indians Survive in 12, Defeat Pelicans 5-4 - Kinston Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.