Pelicans Catcher Named CL Offensive Player of The Week
MYRTLE BEACH, SC -Myrtle Beach Pelicans catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia was named as the Carolina League Offensive Player of the Week. Salty was propelled by his first career two-home run game last Sunday (one from both sides of the plate), hitting his third round tripper in two games on Monday and then adding his 13th home run of the year on July 31.
Overall this week, Saltalamacchia hit .429 while accumulating four doubles, his first triple of the year, and a pair of homers. On Sunday, the Braves' 2003 first-round pick went 3-for-5 with two doubles a homer and three RBIs and was instrumental in the Pelicans' 10-9 come-from-behind victory over Lynchburg. This week Jarrod's season batting average was lifted from .308 to .316 this week, which is now 3rd best in the Carolina League, 2nd best among active players. He hit .411 (39-95) with 6 HR's and 18 RBI during the month of July and he also finished the month with 14 multi-hit games.
The next Pelicans home game is scheduled for Monday, August 8th against the Kinston Indians. Tickets are available by calling 843-918-6000 or by ordering online at www.myrtlebeachpelicans.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 2, 2005
- Pelicans upend K-Tribe late, win 6-4 - Kinston Indians
- Blue Rocks pound out a season-high 18 hits in route of Keys - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Avalanche beat Winston-Salem 6-3 - Salem Red Sox
- Blue Rocks avenge Monday loss with 13-2 win over Keys - Frederick Keys
- Salem doubles up Warthogs, 6-3 - Winston-Salem Dash
- Team USA to play doubleheader tomorrow night - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Keys to honor Thurmont Little League Wednesday - Frederick Keys
- Pelicans Catcher Named CL Offensive Player of The Week - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Kinston Indians game notes - Kinston Indians
- USA Baseball vs. Nicaragua Tonight at Coastal Federal Field - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Indians Survive in 12, Defeat Pelicans 5-4 - Kinston Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Myrtle Beach Pelicans Stories
- Birds Snap Losing Streak with 3-1 Win over Down East
- RHP Brain Glowicki activated from the 7-day Injured List
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: June 15 vs. Down East
- Down East's Two-Run Ninth Propels Woodies to Victory over Birds
- RHP Manuel Rodriguez placed on the 7-day Injured List