Saints Guests in Their Own Home, Lose 8-3 to Goldeyes
ST. PAUL, MN - The St. Paul Saints wore the road gray's in their own home ballpark on Friday night at CHS Field. They will need to do that two more times this weekend as the Winnipeg Goldeyes are the home team. The Goldeyes made themselves right at home as the Saints lost for the sixth time in the last seven games, 8-3, in front of a sellout crowd of 1,500. The loss drops the Saints to 26-29 and they are 3.5 games out of a playoff spot with just five games left.
The Saints jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the third courtesy of a Mikey Reynolds solo homer, his seventh of the season and the first time in his eight year career he's homered in back-to-back games.
Reynolds came calling again in the fourth. With one out Mitch Ghelfi and Drew Stankiewicz reached on back-to-back singles. Reynolds followed with an RBI single giving the Saints a 2-0 lead.
In the bottom of the fourth the Goldeyes got on the board courtesy of a Darnell Sweeney solo homer, his 14th of the season, cutting the Saints lead to 2-1.
The Goldeyes took the lead in the fifth when Jordan Greene and Kevin LaChance walked with two outs. Breland Almadova tied the game with a double off the right field wall. Saints starting pitcher, Matt Solter, then stumbled on a delivery and was called for a balk forcing in LaChance which gave the Goldeyes a 3-2 lead.
In the top of the sixth Stankiewicz tied it with a solo shot to right, his first of the season.
In the bottom of the inning the first five hitters reached for the Goldeyes as Jonathan Moroney led off with a single to center. John Nester singled to left and Wes Darvill reached on a bunt single to load the bases. A walk to Jordan George forced in a run making it 4-3. Solter departed the game for reliever Paul Voelker. He was greeted with a two-run single by LaChance making it 6-3. A wild pitch score George putting the Goldeyes up 7-3.
In the seventh, Logan Hill drilled a solo homer to left-center, his sixth of the season, for the final run of the game.
The same two teams meet in game two of the three game series on Saturday night at 7:05 p.m. The Saints send RHP Pete Tago (NR) to the mound against Goldeyes RHP Brandon Cumpton (2-3, 4.06). The game can be seen on the Saints Cable Network, cable access channels in the Twin Cities area, streamed at aabaseball.tv, and heard on KFAN Plus, 96.7 FM.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from September 4, 2020
- Saints Guests in Their Own Home, Lose 8-3 to Goldeyes - St. Paul Saints
- Long Balls and Danish Power Birds over Dogs - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Ely Homers Twice, Birds Fall to RedHawks - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Pina Blasts Two Home Runs in RedHawks in Series Win - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Dogs, Goldeyes Combine for Eight Home Runs in Doubleheader Split - Chicago Dogs
- Saints Can't Dig out of Early Hole, Lose 10-5 to Milkmen - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Paul Saints Stories
- Flicks and Treats: Double Feature of Hocus Pocus and Ghostbusters Highlight Saints' Halloween Special on October 30
- Voters to Decide as Trump Takes on Biden in Bobblection
- CHS Field Receives American Association Playing Surface of the Year Honor
- Saints Wrap up 2020 Season with 7-4 Loss to RedHawks
- Devine Becomes Saints First Ever American Association Pitcher of the Year, Reynolds and Chinea Named Post-Season All-Stars