Saints Fall in Overtime to Madison
MIDDLETON, Wis. - The Dubuque Fighting Saints battled back from two separate deficits in a topsy-turvy game, but it was the Madison Capitols who held on for the win. Jared Kucharek ended a hectic sequence in overtime with his third goal in the last four games, granting the Caps a 3-2 win over the Saints on Wednesday night at Bob Suter's Capitol Ice Arena.
Kucharek raced the entire length of the ice following a Saints foray in the offensive zone and snapped the puck past Saints goaltender Cole Weaver. The goal marked the second time that the Saints have lost in overtime in a row, and just the second loss to the Capitols this season, both on the road. The goal came at the 3:56 mark of the extra session.
Dubuque had to respond to goals by the Capitols on two occasions on the night, and both responses came within five minutes of the original tally. Tyce Thompson ended a lengthy 21-game goal drought with his first tally since November 24 on a snap shot, assisted by Scott Corbett, who picked up two points on the night, and Brendan Bushy, to tie the score at 1-1.
Jan Kern ended a goal drought of his own, on a rebound opportunity created by Corbett to tie the game at two apiece, responding to a Madison goal just five minutes earlier. Dalton Hunter also picked up an assist on the goal as well.
Mick Messner and Michael Mancinelli scored for the Caps on Wednesday, with Messner's goal coming on the rebound on the only power play opportunity ceded by the Saints in the first period. Mancinelli buried an opportunity set up by Brendan Walkom and Kucharek, following a turnover in the Fighting Saints' defensive zone.
The Saints routinely held the edge in possession against the team that allows the most shots, and takes the fewest, outshooting the Caps 39-29 for the game, and in all periods except for overtime.
The busy weekend continues for the Fighting Saints as the team travels to Omaha to take on the Lancers at 7:05 p.m. on Friday. Catch all of the action on Dubuque's Super Hits 106.1 FM, or on the USHL's streaming video provider, HockeyTV.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from February 7, 2018
- Saints Fall in Overtime to Madison - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Capitols snap losing streak with overtime win - Madison Capitols
- USHL Alumni Prepare for 2018 Olympics - USHL
- Waterloo Black Hawks Weekly Preview - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Stars Acquire Forward Austin Magera From Chicago Steel - Lincoln Stars
- Trade Winds Blow into Youngstown: Phantoms Acquire Two Defensemen - Youngstown Phantoms
- Bernie Goes for the Gold on Olympics Night - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Stampede Top Fargo for 7th Time this Season - Sioux Falls Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.