SaberCats Drop Second Straight
LAS VEGAS, Nev. (Feb. 6, 2006) ? Las Vegas offensive specialist Marcus Nash had four touchdown receptions, including three in the fourth quarter, to help the Gladiators post a home-opening 51-48 win over the San Jose SaberCats in Arena Football League action on Monday night..
Mark Grieb threw five touchdown passes for the SaberCats, but San Jose dropped to 0-2 on the season for the first time since 1998.
Gladiators quarterback Craig Whelihan tossed a 17-yard scoring pass to Nash with 4:28 left in the fourth to give his team a 44-41 lead.
Following a San Jose turnover on downs, Whelihan hit Nash on the first play of the ensuing possession to build the Gladiators lead to 51-41.
Grieb connected with newly acquired Kevin McKenzie on a 6-yard strike with 17.9 seconds remaining to close out the scoring.
The Gladiators recovered San Jose?s onsides kick and ran out the clock for their first win of the season.
SaberCats defensive specialist Clevan Thomas intercepted Whelihan on the first offensive play of the game and Grieb hit Calvin Schexnayder on a 15-yard scoring play to give San Jose a quick 7-0 lead. Thomas had a pair of interceptions in the game to earn Defensive Player of the Game honors.
Despite the quick start, San Jose struggled offensively losing an interception and a fumble while turning the ball over twice on downs.
Schexnayder, who joined the team last week, started at OS for San Jose and had a pair of touchdown grabs before being knocked out of the game by a vicious hit from Las Vegas DB Dameon Porter late in the fourth quarter.
The SaberCats continue their franchise record five-game road trip and look for their first win of the season when they travel to Arizona to battle the 0-2 Rattlers on Sunday.
NOTES: Clevan Thomas set a new SaberCats record with his 4th career multi interception game?Brian Schmitz became the first San Jose kicker to make two field goals in a game since Dan Frantz connected twice at Los Angeles on March 26, 2004...Schmitz has started the season converting all 11 of his PAT attempts.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from February 7, 2006
- Utah Blaze Week 3 Practice Schedule - Utah Blaze
- Avengers Double Days - Los Angeles Avengers
- Philadelphia Soul game notes - Philadelphia Soul
- Arizona Rattlers Game Notes - Arizona Rattlers
- Los Angeles Avengers game notes - Los Angeles Avengers
- EA Sports' Arena Football gets rave reviews from GameZone, IGN - AFL I
- Colorado Crush game notes - Colorado Crush
- EA ships all new Arena Football video game today - AFL I
- Shaw named Offensive Player of the Week - Dallas Desperados
- Mason earns Defensive Player of the Week - Austin Wranglers
- Gladiators defeat SaberCats, 51-48 - San Jose SaberCats
- AFL names players of the week - AFL I
- Kats' Bonner Named AFL Ironman of the Week - Nashville Kats
- Destroyer Acquire Douglas in Trade - Columbus Destroyers
- Rush Trades Douglas For Unertl - Chicago Rush
- Orlando Predators game notes - Orlando Predators
- Florida State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State Produce Players - AFL I
- Gladiators Win Home Opener - Las Vegas Gladiators
- SaberCats Drop Second Straight - San Jose SaberCats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.