Gladiators Win Home Opener
February 6, 2006, Las Vegas NV- The Las Vegas Gladiators (1-1) opened their home season in electrifying fashion, outscoring the San Jose SaberCats 51-48 dropping them to (0-2) on the season. The Game was played at the Thomas and Mack Center in front of 10,436 fans.
The contest went back and forth from the opening kick-off, with 11 lead changes throughout the contest. The Gladiators had several key performances, led by Offensive Player of the Game Marcus Nash, who had 11 catches for 124 and four touchdowns. Despite being sacked twice and hurried on numerous occasions quarterback Craig Wheilhan passed for 181 yards completing 15 of 27 passes and four touchdowns, with two picks. Whelihan also ran for two scores.
Defensively, the Gladiators put pressure on SaberCat quarterback Mark Grieb all night, sacking him twice. Both sacks were by Defensive Player of the Game Wilky Bazile. Grieb threw for 317 yards and five touchdowns with one interception. His leading receiver for the night was Calvin Schexnayder who grabbed 10 balls for 152 yards and two scores.
Vegas took the lead for good as Whelihan hit Nash with under five minutes remaining, and the Gladiators defense forced San Jose out on downs on their next possession to seal the victory.
The Gladiators hit the road in week three as the travel to Denver to take on the defending champion Colorado Crush on Sunday, February 12 at 12:00 PM PT. The game can be heard on ESPN Radio 920 in Las Vegas.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from February 7, 2006
- Utah Blaze Week 3 Practice Schedule - Utah Blaze
- Avengers Double Days - Los Angeles Avengers
- Philadelphia Soul game notes - Philadelphia Soul
- Arizona Rattlers Game Notes - Arizona Rattlers
- Los Angeles Avengers game notes - Los Angeles Avengers
- EA Sports' Arena Football gets rave reviews from GameZone, IGN - AFL I
- Colorado Crush game notes - Colorado Crush
- EA ships all new Arena Football video game today - AFL I
- Shaw named Offensive Player of the Week - Dallas Desperados
- Mason earns Defensive Player of the Week - Austin Wranglers
- Gladiators defeat SaberCats, 51-48 - San Jose SaberCats
- AFL names players of the week - AFL I
- Kats' Bonner Named AFL Ironman of the Week - Nashville Kats
- Destroyer Acquire Douglas in Trade - Columbus Destroyers
- Rush Trades Douglas For Unertl - Chicago Rush
- Orlando Predators game notes - Orlando Predators
- Florida State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State Produce Players - AFL I
- Gladiators Win Home Opener - Las Vegas Gladiators
- SaberCats Drop Second Straight - San Jose SaberCats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.