Rush Trades Douglas For Unertl
February 7, 2006 - The Chicago Rush announced today it has traded offensive specialist Henry Douglas to the Columbus Destroyers in exchange for WR/DB Jeremy Unertl (you-NER-tuhl).
"We felt we needed to get some more size in our defensive backfield," said Rush head coach Mike Hohensee. "Unertl is a big, physical DB with good ball skills. He has been on our radar for a few years and we were impressed with him when we had a chance to see him in person during our preseason scrimmage in Columbus. Unfortunately, to get someone you want you have to give up a good player, and while we hate to lose HD, we felt this was a move we needed to make."
Unertl (6-1, 210, Wisconsin-LaCrosse) is entering his third year in the AFL, after originally being signed by the Las Vegas Gladiators in 2004. He played in six games as a rookie with Las Vegas in 2004 and split the 2005 season between Las Vegas and Columbus, playing seven games for the Gladiators and five for the Destroyers. In his career he has recorded 64.5 tackles, two interceptions and five passes broken up, and caught 14 passes for 108 yards and three touchdowns.
Douglas heads to Ohio after spending slightly more than one season in Chicago. He joined the Rush in 2005 after spending his 2004 rookie season in Los Angeles. Douglas was the team's second-leading receiver in 2005, catching 87 passes for 1,019 yards and 17 touchdowns in 12 games. He also returned 63 kicks for 1,221 yards and three touchdowns. In two games this season, Douglas was again the team's second leading receiver, with 11 receptions for 113 yards and two TDs.
In addition to the trade, the Rush waived kicker Steve Azar. Azar was signed last week to replace the injured Keith Gispert. He played in one game for Chicago, connecting on three of five extra point attempts and missing his only field goal attempt.
The Rush (0-2) looks for its first win of the season as it hosts the Central Division-leading Nashville Kats (2-0) this Sunday, February 12, at Allstate Arena. Kickoff is set for 2 p.m. and fans interested in purchasing tickets for the game may order by calling Ticketmaster at (312) 559-1212, or by visiting the Ticketmaster Web site at www.ticketmaster.com. Tickets also may be purchased in person at any Ticketmaster outlet or the Allstate Arena box office. Fans interested in season or group tickets for 2006 can call the Rush at (877) RUSH-TIX or visit the team's Web site, www.chicagorush.com.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from February 7, 2006
- Utah Blaze Week 3 Practice Schedule - Utah Blaze
- Avengers Double Days - Los Angeles Avengers
- Philadelphia Soul game notes - Philadelphia Soul
- Arizona Rattlers Game Notes - Arizona Rattlers
- Los Angeles Avengers game notes - Los Angeles Avengers
- EA Sports' Arena Football gets rave reviews from GameZone, IGN - AFL I
- Colorado Crush game notes - Colorado Crush
- EA ships all new Arena Football video game today - AFL I
- Shaw named Offensive Player of the Week - Dallas Desperados
- Mason earns Defensive Player of the Week - Austin Wranglers
- Gladiators defeat SaberCats, 51-48 - San Jose SaberCats
- AFL names players of the week - AFL I
- Kats' Bonner Named AFL Ironman of the Week - Nashville Kats
- Destroyer Acquire Douglas in Trade - Columbus Destroyers
- Rush Trades Douglas For Unertl - Chicago Rush
- Orlando Predators game notes - Orlando Predators
- Florida State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State Produce Players - AFL I
- Gladiators Win Home Opener - Las Vegas Gladiators
- SaberCats Drop Second Straight - San Jose SaberCats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.