AFL names players of the week
February 7, 2006 - Arena Football League (1987-2008) (AFL I) News Release
NEW YORK - Nashville Kats WR/DB CORNELIUS BONNER, Dallas Desperados WR/LB TERRILL SHAW and Austin Wranglers DS DAMON MASON have been named Ironman, Offensive Player and ADT Defensive Player of the Week, respectively, for Week 2 of the 2006 season.
IRONMAN: Bonner (6-0, 190, Cincinnati), who is in his sixth AFL season and first with Nashville, helped lead the Kats (2-0) to a 53-27 win over the Columbus Destroyers (1-1) on Friday night. He hauled in five catches for 51 yards and two touchdowns and added three tackles and a pass break-up on defense. Bonner has not missed a game in three seasons.
OFFENSIVE: Shaw (6-0, 190, Southern Mississippi), who is in his seventh AFL season and first full campaign in Dallas (2-0), set a Desperados receiving record with 208 receiving yards and tied a franchise mark with five touchdowns (one rushing) in Saturday night's 56-53 win over Utah (1-1).
ADT DEFENSIVE: Mason (5-9, 175, Louisiana-Lafayette), who is in his ninth AFL season and first with the Wranglers, helped propel Austin (2-0) to a 53-34 win over Arizona (0-2) on Friday night in Phoenix by setting new franchise single-game records with three interceptions and 59 interception return yards. He also added four tackles. Mason currently leads the AFL with five interceptions.
Ironman of the Week candidates included: Chicago's Bob McMillen, Colorado's Willis Marshall, Grand Rapids' Josh Bush and Orlando's DeAndrew Rubin.
Offensive Player of the Week candidates included: Colorado's Damian Harrell, Dallas' Clint Dolezel, Las Vegas' Marcus Nash, New York's Kevin Swayne and Tampa Bay's Lawrence Samuels.
ADT Defensive Player of the Week candidates included: Chicago's Khreem Smith, Georgia's Rob Carey, Nashville's Monty Montgomery, New York's Dahnel Signfield, Orlando's Jeroid Johnson, Philadelphia's Ernest Allen and Tampa Bay's Ernest Certain.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from February 7, 2006
- Utah Blaze Week 3 Practice Schedule - Utah Blaze
- Avengers Double Days - Los Angeles Avengers
- Philadelphia Soul game notes - Philadelphia Soul
- Arizona Rattlers Game Notes - Arizona Rattlers
- Los Angeles Avengers game notes - Los Angeles Avengers
- EA Sports' Arena Football gets rave reviews from GameZone, IGN - AFL I
- Colorado Crush game notes - Colorado Crush
- EA ships all new Arena Football video game today - AFL I
- Shaw named Offensive Player of the Week - Dallas Desperados
- Mason earns Defensive Player of the Week - Austin Wranglers
- Gladiators defeat SaberCats, 51-48 - San Jose SaberCats
- AFL names players of the week - AFL I
- Kats' Bonner Named AFL Ironman of the Week - Nashville Kats
- Destroyer Acquire Douglas in Trade - Columbus Destroyers
- Rush Trades Douglas For Unertl - Chicago Rush
- Orlando Predators game notes - Orlando Predators
- Florida State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State Produce Players - AFL I
- Gladiators Win Home Opener - Las Vegas Gladiators
- SaberCats Drop Second Straight - San Jose SaberCats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.