Ryan Ufko Named USHL Defenseman of the Week
GENEVA, ILLINOIS - Chicago Steel defenseman Ryan Ufko was named the United States Hockey League Player of the Week for his position, the league announced Friday. It is the second time this season that the UMass-Amherst commit has earned the weekly honor from the USHL.
Ufko, a native of Smithtown, N.Y., charted four points (2G, 2A) over a three game series against the Youngstown Phantoms on Jan. 22, 23 & 24 at Covelli Centre in Ohio, helping the Steel win two of the three matchups.
"Ryan has been great for us all season, providing consistent play on both sides of the puck and has done a great job leading our defensemen with his approach every day," said Steel Head Coach Brock Sheahan. "It's always nice to see a player get recognized for the work that he puts in day to day. We are so proud of the growth that Ryan has shown since last season and expect his development to continue moving forward."
The 5-foot-10, 178-pound blueliner ranks second among USHL defensemen in points with 22 points (7G, 15A) through 22 games this season.
Ufko was elevated to a 'B'-level prospect on NHL Central Scouting's latest watch list released on Jan. 22, 2021 after being listed as a 'C'-level prospect on the preseason watch list.
With the honors, Ufko joins teammates Jack Babbage, Matt Coronato, Josh Doan, Erik Middendorf and Mackie Samoskevich as Steel players who have been named USHL Player of the Week.
The first place Steel (16-4-2-0; 34 pts.) are back in action January 29, 30 & 31 with three games against the Muskegon Lumberjacks.
Tonight's matchup is set for a 6:00 pm CT puck drop at Mercy Health Arena in Michigan. The clubs make the trip to Fox Valley Ice Arena for the final two games of the weekend, a 7:05 pm CT start time on Saturday and a 3:05 pm CT puck drop on Sunday.
Chicago Steel games can be heard on Mixlr at http://mixlr.com/chicago-steel/ (AUDIO) and video may be streamed on available devices through HockeyTV at www.hockeytv.com (VIDEO/AUDIO).
Chicago Steel Upcoming Games:
Friday, January 29 at Muskegon Lumberjacks (6:00 pm CT)
Saturday, January 30 vs Muskegon Lumberjacks (7:05 pm CT) presented by Geneva Family Dental
Sunday, January 31 vs Muskegon Lumberjacks (3:05 pm CT) presented by Geneva Family Dental
For more information, call 855-51-STEEL or visit ChicagoSteelHockeyTeam.com.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 29, 2021
- Storm Shutout Lancers, 6-0 - Omaha Lancers
- Musketeers Too Much for First-Place Fargo - Sioux City Musketeers
- Force Fall to the Musketeers 4-2 - Fargo Force
- Storm Post 6-0 Shutout Win over Omaha - Tri-City Storm
- Stars Overwhelmed by Sioux Falls - Lincoln Stars
- Stampede Throttle Stars 10-4 in Lincoln - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Dubuque Tops Hawks, 4-1 - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Parik Shines in Debut, Saints Clinch Cowbell Cup with 4-1 Win - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Andrea Rose Named Lumberjacks' Interim President of Business Operations - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Muskegon Takes 5-3 Series-Opening Win against Steel - Chicago Steel
- Todd Scott Named USHL Goaltender of the Week - Tri-City Storm
- Ryan Ufko Named USHL Defenseman of the Week - Chicago Steel
- Multiple Storm Players Named to Latest NHL Draft Rankings - Tri-City Storm
- Storm Set for Three-Game Series against Lancers - Tri-City Storm
- Gameday Essentials: Fargo - Sioux City Musketeers
- Weekend Preview: Three with the Storm - Omaha Lancers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.