Ryan Single Gives Beavers 11-Inning Win Over Sky Sox
PORTLAND, Ore. - Dusty Ryan's bases loaded single with two outs in the bottom of the 11th inning gave the Portland Beavers a 2-1 win over the Colorado Springs Sky Sox in front of 2,471 fans at PGE Park on Thursday night.
Back-to-back singles by Chris Denorfia and Craig Cooper with one out in the 11th started the rally before Sky Sox reliever Andrew Johnston (1-1) intentionally walked Eric Munson. After a strikeout, Ryan grounded a single up the middle to end the game.
Luis Durango had three hits and two stolen bases and Cooper and Lance Zawadzki each had a pair of hits for the Beavers (4-4), who finished their season-opening, eight-game homestand Thursday.
The Sky Sox (4-4) were held to one run - a solo homer by Brad Eldred in the seventh - and collected just four hits on the night.
Ernesto Frieri (1-0) walked two of the first three batters in the top of the 11th but worked out of the jam for his first victory of the season.
The Beavers scored first on Munson's solo shot to right-center in the fourth.
Cesar Carrillo allowed two hits and two walks over six scoreless innings in his start for Portland.
Sky Sox right-hander Tim Redding, who pitched for the Beavers in 2005, yielded one run on seven hits and struck out six across six frames.
The Beavers start their first road trip of the season Friday when they visit Fresno for a 7:05 p.m. (Pacific) game.
NOTES: Durango's third-inning infield single snapped an 0-for-16 skid while Munson erased an 0-for-11 slump with his home run ... Carrillo lowered his ERA to 0.93 with his effort ... the two teams split the four-game series ... the Sky Sox beat the Beavers 5-4 in 11 innings two nights earlier.
Beavers Game File THURSDAY'S GAME: Beavers 2, Colorado Springs 1 WINNING PITCHER: Frieri (1-0) LOSING PITCHER: Johnston (1-1) SAVE: None HOME RUNS: Munson (1), Eldred (1) FRIDAY'S GAME: Portland (Will Inman: 0-0, 5.40) at Fresno (Joe Martinez: 0-0, 0.00), 7:05 p.m. (Pacific); live audio broadcast on Freedom 970 AM and www.portlandbeavers.com. Follow the Beavers on Twitter (www.twitter.com/PortlandBeavers) and Facebook (www.facebook.com/OfficialPortlandBeavers).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 16, 2010
- Seven run seventh inning dooms Round Rock bullpen - Round Rock Express
- Cubs Drop Sounds On Opening Night In Extras, 7-4 - Nashville Sounds
- Z's rally in Round Rock - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Evans Designated For Assignment To Salt Lake, Coon Released - Salt Lake Bees
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes Vs. New Orleans - April 16 - Round Rock Express
- Gordon Joins Omaha, Rupe Up To KC, Bellorin Leaves Team Due To Death In Family - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Berkman Headed To Round Rock Express - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- New HD Video Board And Special Diamond Club Seating Highlight New Additions to Raley Field - Sacramento River Cats
- Ryan Single Gives Beavers 11-Inning Win Over Sky Sox - Portland Beavers
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss