Royals Struggle Offensively in 5-2 Loss against Braves
Danville, Va. - The Royals offense halted again on Wednesday in a 5-2 loss to the Danville Braves. Following a loss to Greeneville last night, it's the first set of back-to-back losses for Burlington since August 2-3 against Kingsport.
Danville loaded the bases in the bottom of the second inning before Brandon Parker was plunked by a fastball, allowing Mason Berne to score and put the Braves up 1-0. The lead extended to 3-0 shortly after on a two-run single from shortstop Beau Philip.
Later, in the fourth, Garrett Saunders torched a double that plated Cody Birdsong to make it 4-0.
Burlington did manage to put up some runs in the top of the sixth. Jay Charleston scored on a wild pitch and Maikel Garcia brought in Jack Gethings on a groundout to cut the deficit to 4-2.
In the ninth, down 5-2, the Royals had the bases loaded with one out. However, no one came around as Albinson Volquez (3) completed the save without damage.
Braves reliever Tanner Gordon (2-1) earned the win while Royals starter Heribert Garcia (1-1) took the loss.
Burlington is back in Danville on Thursday night for the final meeting between the two teams of 2019. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.
Single-game tickets are on sale now. Call 336-222-0223 or visit www.burlingtonroyals.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the Appalachian League message board...
Appalachian League Stories from August 23, 2019
- Twins Win Big in Season Series Finale with Johnson City - Elizabethton Twins
- Pucheu Tosses Shutout in Game One, Rays Take Game Two - Greeneville Reds
- First-Batter Homer All Pirates Get in 2-1 Setback - Bristol Pirates
- K-Mets Get Crucial Win in Series Opener - Kingsport Mets
- Puello, Guay Pitch Cards Past Bucs in Opener - Johnson City Cardinals
- Dorante Named 2019 Appalachian League Manager of the Year - Pulaski Yankees
- Bryce Ball, Mitch Stallings Earn League Awards - Danville Braves
- Extra-Inning Walk-Off Thriller Ends Homestand - Danville Braves
- Royals Struggle Offensively in 5-2 Loss against Braves - Burlington Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Burlington Royals Stories
- "Keep Hope. Never Give Up." the Mission Statement of Kort Peterson's Life
- After Losing his Mom, Brhet Bewley Hears her Every Step of the Way
- New Ownership & Front Office of the Burlington Royals AnnouncedÃÂ
- For the Health of the Players, and Love for the Game... That's Brad Groleau.
- Royals Agree to Terms with 14 Players on Contracts for 2020