Royals Struggle Offensively in 5-2 Loss against Braves
Danville, Va. - The Royals offense halted again on Wednesday in a 5-2 loss to the Danville Braves. Following a loss to Greeneville last night, it's the first set of back-to-back losses for Burlington since August 2-3 against Kingsport.
Danville loaded the bases in the bottom of the second inning before Brandon Parker was plunked by a fastball, allowing Mason Berne to score and put the Braves up 1-0. The lead extended to 3-0 shortly after on a two-run single from shortstop Beau Philip.
Later, in the fourth, Garrett Saunders torched a double that plated Cody Birdsong to make it 4-0.
Burlington did manage to put up some runs in the top of the sixth. Jay Charleston scored on a wild pitch and Maikel Garcia brought in Jack Gethings on a groundout to cut the deficit to 4-2.
In the ninth, down 5-2, the Royals had the bases loaded with one out. However, no one came around as Albinson Volquez (3) completed the save without damage.
Braves reliever Tanner Gordon (2-1) earned the win while Royals starter Heribert Garcia (1-1) took the loss.
Burlington is back in Danville on Thursday night for the final meeting between the two teams of 2019. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.
Single-game tickets are on sale now. Call 336-222-0223 or visit www.burlingtonroyals.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the Appalachian League message board...
Appalachian League Stories from August 23, 2019
- Twins Win Big in Season Series Finale with Johnson City - Elizabethton Twins
- Pucheu Tosses Shutout in Game One, Rays Take Game Two - Greeneville Reds
- First-Batter Homer All Pirates Get in 2-1 Setback - Bristol Pirates
- K-Mets Get Crucial Win in Series Opener - Kingsport Mets
- Puello, Guay Pitch Cards Past Bucs in Opener - Johnson City Cardinals
- Dorante Named 2019 Appalachian League Manager of the Year - Pulaski Yankees
- Bryce Ball, Mitch Stallings Earn League Awards - Danville Braves
- Extra-Inning Walk-Off Thriller Ends Homestand - Danville Braves
- Royals Struggle Offensively in 5-2 Loss against Braves - Burlington Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.