Royals Sign Island Product Riley Gannon
Victoria, BC - The Victoria Royals are proud to announce that the club has signed 2002-born forward Riley Gannon to a Western Hockey League (WHL) Standard Player Agreement.
Gannon, who hails from Nanaimo, BC, spent last season in the Vancouver Island Junior Hockey League (VIJHL) with the Nanaimo Buccaneers. The 2002-born forward finished second in team scoring with 50 points (21g-29a) in 50 games for the Buccaneers and was named the VIJHL's Rookie of the Year. He also skated in two games for the Alberni Valley Bulldogs of the BC Hockey League.
"Riley is a skilled and intelligent forward who had a very strong training camp," Royals' President and General Manager Cameron Hope said. "He has been able to adapt his offensive game to meet the challenge of higher and higher levels of play. We are pleased to have him join our forward group."
Prior to his time with the Buccaneers, Gannon played for his hometown North Island Silvertips of the BC Major Midget Hockey League. In 40 games with the Silvertips, he recorded 18 goals and 13 assists for 31 points.
Earlier this month, the Royals acquired Gannon, along with forward Gary Haden, a fourth round pick in the 2022 WHL Bantam Draft and a conditional pick from the Saskatoon Blades for defenceman Scott Walford and draft picks. The 5-10, 170 lb Gannon was originally listed by Saskatoon in October of last year.
Victoria will open their pre-season tonight against the Kelowna Rockets at Prospera Place. The club will then face the Kamloops Blazers tomorrow night at the Sandman Centre. Puck drop for Friday's game is schedule for 7:05 p.m., while Saturday's contest will take place at 7:00 p.m.
Season Ticket packages are on sale now - reserve your seat for all 34 home games. Benefits include access to our flexible "Never Wasted Ticket" exchange policy, first opportunity on giveaway items, choice of best seats, and much more! Call our ticket office at 250-220-7889 or send an email to [email protected] for more info or to set up an appointment to view availability.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from August 30, 2019
- Blades Open 2019 Pre-Season with High Scoring Win - Saskatoon Blades
- Royals Blanked by Rockets - Victoria Royals
- Jarret Stoll Cup at Winnipeg ICE Training Camp Presented by Hilton Garden Inn Winnipeg South - Winnipeg Ice
- Pats Stymied by Blades in Preseason Opener - Regina Pats
- Hurricanes Sign Goaltender Picklyk - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Davies' Hat Trick Leads Broncos to Pre-Season Win - Swift Current Broncos
- Rebels Acquire 2017 Top 10 Bantam Draft Pick in Deal with Giants - Red Deer Rebels
- Rebels Bench Boss Impressed with Veterans, Rookies in Camp - Red Deer Rebels
- Hitmen 2019 Training Camp Day Three Recap - Calgary Hitmen
- Chiefs Drop Preseason Opener to Winterhawks - Spokane Chiefs
- Nowoczin and Larocque Return to Midget Teams - Tri-City Americans
- Vancouver Giants Acquire 2000-Born Forward Brendan Budy - Vancouver Giants
- Rebels Trade With Vancouver - Red Deer Rebels
- Giants Drop Exhibition Opener to Seattle Thunderbirds - Vancouver Giants
- Royals Sign Island Product Riley Gannon - Victoria Royals
- T-Birds Drop Giants in First Preseason Game - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Broncos Sign Forward Aiden Bulych to SPA - Swift Current Broncos
- Roster Set for First Preseason Contests of 2019 - Spokane Chiefs
- Broncos Open Pre Season with Matinee in Regina against Moose Jaw - Swift Current Broncos
- Royals' Team Blue Outduels Team White in Intra-Squad Win - Victoria Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.