Royals Scrape out 1-0 Win over Cards
Burlington, N.C. - After scoring 14 runs in Thursday's win over the Cardinals, the Royals only needed one in a 1-0 victory on Friday night.
With two outs in the bottom of the second, Kevon Jackson took off to try and swipe second base. As Jackson slid into the bag, the throw from catcher Kyle Skeels ricocheted off his leg and all the way out to left field. This allowed him to advance all the way home to make it 1-0 Burlington.
Royals starter Angel Zerpa struck out five batters in five scoreless innings to earn his sixth win of the season with Jonah Dipoto recording the final six outs to earn his third save. Cardinals starter Hector Soto took the loss after allowing one unearned run in his four innings on the bump.
Burlington looks to sweep Johnson City in the final meeting of the series on Saturday with first pitch set for 6:30 p.m.
Single-game tickets are on sale now. Call 336-222-0223 or visit www.burlingtonroyals.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the Appalachian League message board...
Appalachian League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Cardinals Salvage in Burlington Behind More Strong Pitching - Johnson City Cardinals
- Mets Get past Yankees - Pulaski Yankees
- Maldonado Tosses Pirates past Princeton - Bristol Pirates
- D-Braves Finish off Sweep with Extra-Innings Triumph - Danville Braves
- Royals Scrape out 1-0 Win over Cards - Burlington Royals
- Pulaski's Ozoa Named 2019 Appalachian League Trainer of the Year - Pulaski Yankees
- Big Win Moves Pirates into Second Place Tie - Bristol Pirates
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.