Royals Rally for Third Period Win over Rebels
VICTORIA - The Red Deer Rebels were in fine shape after 40 minutes Wednesday at the Save-on-Foods Memorial Arena.
As for the final 20 minutes . . . not so much.
The host Victoria Royals rubbed out a 1-0 deficit after two periods en route to a 3-1 win over the Rebels in a WHL contest viewed by 3,081 fans.
Phillip Schultz pulled the hosts even at 10:58 of the third period, then notched the winner five minutes later.
Kaid Oliver scored into an empty net to deal the deal.
"We didn't do things the right away and handle the rushes the right way. Just too many breakdowns," said Rebels GM/head coach Brent Sutter.
"We played well for 50 minutes of the game, but didn't defend the right way."
Ben King scored off a scramble in the second period to give the Rebels a lead that held up until Schultz busted through the Red Deer defence and pulled the hosts even.
"We played well but just lost coverage on some players, We had too many breakdowns in the last 10 minutes," said Sutter. "Good teams are going to burn you on that."
The Rebels continue their BC Division trip with a Wednesday visit with the Vancouver Giants in Langley.
Red Deer concludes the trip with stops in Kamloops, Kelowna and Prince George. Red Deer's next home game is Feb. 22 versus the Tri-City Americans.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 12, 2020
- Broncos Show Flashes in Loss to ICE - Swift Current Broncos
- Hurricanes Storm into Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings - WHL
- Tips Extend Head Coach Dennis Williams Through 2022-23 - Everett Silvertips
- Saskatchewan's Kozun Named Canada West WHL Graduate of the Month - WHL
- WHL Announces Academic Spotlight for January - WHL
- ICE Look to Build off Home Stand in Swift Current. - Winnipeg Ice
- Warrior Duo Prepared for Busy Two Weeks - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Wednesday, February 12 vs. Regina - Calgary Hitmen
- Wheat Kings Take on Blades in Pivotal East Division Showdown - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game Day Preview: Pats Continue Central Division Trip in Calgary Wednesday - Regina Pats
- Royals Rally Past Rebels - Victoria Royals
- Royals Rally for Third Period Win over Rebels - Red Deer Rebels
- Tigers Shut out Pats 7-0 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Pats Mauled by Medicine Hat, 7-0 - Regina Pats
- Oil Kings Clinch Berth in 2020 WHL Playoffs - Edmonton Oil Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Red Deer Rebels Stories
- Sakowich Cherished His Time in Red Deer Despite Premature End to his Final Season
- Rebels' U.S. Prospects Draft Picks Both Leaning Towards Attending Next Training Camp
- Rebels Select Pair of Minnesota Players in Inaugural U.S. Prospects Draft
- Rebels Take Sawchyn First Overall In U.S. Prospects Draft
- Expectations for 2020-21 Version of Rebels Will be Higher