Game Day Preview: Pats Continue Central Division Trip in Calgary Wednesday
The Regina Pats (18-27-3-2) continue their Central Division road trip on Wednesday night when they visit the Calgary Hitmen (28-18-4-1). Puck drop is at 8:00 p.m. Regina time at Scotiabank Saddledome. The Pats saw their five game win streak come to an end on Tuesday night in Medicine Hat, losing 7-0 to the Tigers. The Hitmen were last in action on Sunday when they lost 6-4 at home to the Lethbridge Hurricanes. Tonight is the fourth and final meeting between Regina and Calgary, the Pats are 0-2-1-0 so far in the season series. The game can be heard with Bennett Dunlop Ford Pats Hockey starting at 7:35 p.m. on 620 CKRM .
Regular Season Comparison Regina Calgary
Record 18-27-3-2 28-18-4-1
Goals For/Against 150/202 (-52) 168/151 (+17)
Powerplay 16.5% (34/206) 21.5% (32/149)
Penalty Kill 78.9% (180/228) 79.7% (177/222)
Team Save Percentage 0.880 0.892
Leading Scorer Austin Pratt (16-28-44) Riley Stotts (22-33-55)
Leading Scorer (Defence) Zach Wytinck (6-33-39) Jett Woo (7-27-34)
Scoring by Period (1st-2nd-3rd-OT-SO) 43-51-49-2-5 48-51-63-5-1
- The Pats are 5-4-1-0 in their last 10 games against Calgary and are 3-2-0-0 in their last five on the road.
- The Pats season high five game win streak came to an end on Tuesday night in Medicine Hat.
- Tuesday was the fourth time this season the Pats were held without a goal.
- Regina is 10-9-1 in their 20 games since the Christmas Break.
- Austin Pratt leads the Pats with eight goals and 14 points in 23 career games against Calgary.
- Regina is 3-1-0-0 in the month of February, scoring 13 goals and allowing 13.
Pats defenceman Makai Mitchell returned to the lineup on Tuesday night after missing the previous nine games with an upper-body injury. The 17-year-old was hurt at the end of the Pats 6-3 win in Everett on January 12, suffering multiple facial fractures, but worked his way back onto the ice in less than a month. Mitchell, a listed player out of Fort Collins, Colorado has played in 16 games this season and 40 games overall in the last two years, recording two assists and 28 penalty minutes.
Despite Tuesday's loss, the Pats hold a 3-1-0-0 record in the month of February and are 8-8-0-1 in 2020. The Pats had picked up a win over Saskatoon and two against Swift Current to start the month, scoring 13 goals and allowing just six in those three games. Ryker Evans and Robbie Holmes lead the team with five points in the first four games of February, while Riley Krane, Drew Englot, Carson Denomie and Zach Wytinck each have three points in that stretch.
Pats Approaching Notable Career Highlights
Zach Wytinck is 9 assists away from 100 in his WHL career.
Carson Denomie is 15 games away from 200 in his WHL career.
Jakob Brook is one game away from 100 in his WHL career.
Cole Dubinsky is 3 games away from 100 in his WHL career.
Ryker Evans is 5 games away from 100 in his WHL career.
Last Pats Game
The Regina Pats saw their five-game win streak come to an end on Tuesday night in Medicine Hat, falling 7-0 to the Tigers on the road. In the first, the Tigers found the game's first goal at 16:54. Jonathan Brinkman with the marker and Medicine Hat led 1-0 after the opening period. In the second, the Tigers scored twice early, one on the powerplay and one even strength to go up 3-0. It stayed that way until late in the frame when they added another powerplay marker from Elijah Brown. Jonathan Brinkman made it 5-0, 56 seconds later and it was 5-0 Tigers after 40 minutes. In the third, Medicine Hat added two goals from Ryan Chyzowski and ended the Pats win streak at five games with a 7-0 victory. The Pats were outshot 44-24, the powerplay was oh for four, the penalty kill went five for seven, while Donovan Buskey and Danton Belluk combined to make 37 saves.
Last Pats Game Vs Calgary
November 29, 2019 - Austin Pratt gave the Pats a 1-0 in the first, but the Hitmen responded with two goals in the second and two in the third en-route to a 4-1 win at Scotiabank Saddledome. Mark Kastelic led the Calgary offence with three assists, while Egor Zamula and Riley Stotts each put up two points. Max Paddock stopped 42 of 46 in goal for Regina, Jack McNaughton made 24 saves for the Hitmen.
Last 10 Games Vs Opponent
November 29, 2019 - Regina 1 @ Calgary 4
November 20, 2019 - Calgary 4 @ Regina 2
October 27, 2019 - Calgary 5 @ Regina 4 OT
February 22, 2019 - Calgary 4 @ Regina 5 OT
February 6, 2019 - Regina 3 @ Calgary 4
January 29, 2019 - Calgary 5 @ Regina 2
October 14, 2018 - Regina 4 @ Calgary 3 OT
March 3, 2018 - Regina 3 @ Calgary 2 OT
January 13, 2018 - Calgary 2 @ Regina 8
December 3, 2017 - Regina 4 @ Calgary 1
Pats Leaders Vs Calgary (Career)
Austin Pratt - 23 GP, 8G, 6A, 14 PTS.
Zach Wytinck - 11 GP, 1G, 9A, 10 PTS.
Robbie Holmes - 10 GP, 2G, 3A, 5 PTS.
Carter Massier - 6 GP, 1G, 1A, 2 PTS.
Carson Denomie - 7 GP, 0G, 2A, 2 PTS
Donovan Buskey - 2 GP, 2-0-0-0, 8 GA.
Individual Streaks (Active)
Individual Streaks (Recent)
Zach Wytinck - 6 games, January 24 - February 8 (1G, 6A).
Robbie Holmes - 5 games, January 24 - February 8 (3G, 6A).
Ryker Evans - 5 games January 26 - February 8 (1G, 7A).
Pats @ Edmonton - Friday February 14, 8 p.m. - Rogers Place (CKRM)
Pats Vs Brandon - Monday February 17, 2 p.m. - Brandt Centre (CKRM)
Pats @ Prince Albert - Tuesday February 18, 7 p.m. - Art Hauser Centre (CKRM)
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 12, 2020
- Broncos Show Flashes in Loss to ICE - Swift Current Broncos
- Hurricanes Storm into Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings - WHL
- Tips Extend Head Coach Dennis Williams Through 2022-23 - Everett Silvertips
- Saskatchewan's Kozun Named Canada West WHL Graduate of the Month - WHL
- WHL Announces Academic Spotlight for January - WHL
- ICE Look to Build off Home Stand in Swift Current. - Winnipeg Ice
- Warrior Duo Prepared for Busy Two Weeks - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Wednesday, February 12 vs. Regina - Calgary Hitmen
- Wheat Kings Take on Blades in Pivotal East Division Showdown - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game Day Preview: Pats Continue Central Division Trip in Calgary Wednesday - Regina Pats
- Royals Rally Past Rebels - Victoria Royals
- Royals Rally for Third Period Win over Rebels - Red Deer Rebels
- Tigers Shut out Pats 7-0 - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Pats Mauled by Medicine Hat, 7-0 - Regina Pats
- Oil Kings Clinch Berth in 2020 WHL Playoffs - Edmonton Oil Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Regina Pats Stories
- Pats Take Michels and Young in the 2020 WHL US Prospects Draft
- Pats to Pick First Overall in 2020 WHL Bantam Draft
- Pats to Pick Twice in Wednesday's Inaugural WHL US Prospects Draft
- WHL to Hold Annual Bantam Draft Lottery Wednesday
- WHL to Hold Annual Bantam Draft Lottery Wednesday