Royals Outlasted by Blazers in Shootout
Kamloops, BC - The Victoria Royals lost to the Kamloops Blazers 3-2 in a shootout on Saturday night at the Sandman Centre.
Gamesheet - bit.ly/2RSfv0V
Royals - Scott Walford 1g-1a, Ralph Jarratt 1g-0a, Dino Kambeitz 0g-1a, Igor Martynov 0g-1a, Kody McDonald 0g-1a.
Kamloops - Jermaine Loewen 2g-0a, Martin Lang 0g-1a, Connor Zary 0g-1a, Zane Franklin 0g-1a (Shootout Winner).
Royals - Brock Gould (SOL) - 65:00 mins, 30 saves on 32 shots. Stopped one of three attempts in the shootout.
Kamloops - Dylan Ferguson (W) - 64:10 mins, 33 saves on 35 shots. Stopped both attempts in the shootout.
Royals - 1/5= 20.0%
Kamloops - 0/5 = 0.0%
Blazing Ahead: With two points (1g-1a) tonight, Royals' defenceman Scott Walford now leads the team in scoring against the Blazers this season. In seven games against Kamloops he has recorded two goals and six assists.
Eight-Year Streak: Tonight's shootout loss to the Blazers was the Royals' first defeat to Kamloops, after playing in Kelowna in the previous contest, since December 3, 2011.
Shootouts: Tonight's defeat marked the first time the Royals have fallen in a shootout this season. The first two shootouts came on September 21, 2018 against the Prince George Cougars, and January 5, 2019 when the club visited the Red Deer Rebels.
Home Grown Talent: Victoria native Ethan Brandwood made his second WHL appearance for the Blazers, and his first against Victoria. The 2002-born defenceman was drafted in the seventh round, 146th overall, by Kamloops in the 2017 WHL Bantam Draft. Brandwood played Minor hockey for the South Island Royals and Saanich Braves. Kamloops also boasts a pair of other Victoria natives in defenceman Sean Strange and goaltender Dylan Garand.
Back to the Barn: Victoria returns home on Friday, February 1st for Eco Night to begin their four-game homestand with a contest against the Tri-City Americans. The Royals will then play the Americans again on Saturday, February 2nd, followed by two contests against the Seattle Thunderbirds on Tuesday, February 5th and Wednesday February 6th. Puck drop for all four games is at 7:05 p.m. Tickets can be purchased in person at the Select Your Tickets box office, over the phone by calling 250-220-7777, or online at www.selectyourtickets.com.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 27, 2019
- Giants Erase 3-0 Deficit But Fall 4-3 in Shootout to Kelowna - Vancouver Giants
- Cougars Edged by Oil Kings - Prince George Cougars
- Rockets Take down Giants in OT - Kelowna Rockets
- Quick Goals Pace Hitmen to 4-1 Victory - Calgary Hitmen
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Sunday, January 27 vs. Kootenay - Calgary Hitmen
- Byram's Late Goal Lifts Giants to Eighth Straight Win - Vancouver Giants
- Andrusiak Hat Trick Paces Silvertips to 9-1 Win - Everett Silvertips
- Royals Outlasted by Blazers in Shootout - Victoria Royals
- Historic I-5 Rivalry Night Ends in Winterhawks Overtime Win - Portland Winterhawks
- Late Power Play Marker Downs Rockets - Kelowna Rockets
- T-Birds Earn Point with Comeback But Fall to Winterhawks in Overtime - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Cougars Felled by Rebels - Prince George Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.