Round Rock INF Nick Tanielu Earns PCL Player of the Week Award
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah - The honors just keep coming! The Pacific Coast League has named Round Rock Express INF Nick Tanielu its Player of the Week for June 3-9. This marks the fifth PCL award for an Express player so far this season.
Tanielu torched PCL pitching during the week, compiling a .483 batting average (14-29) with three doubles, two triples, four home runs and 13 RBI in six games. The infielder led all league hitters with 12 runs scored, 14 hits, 33 total bases and 13 RBI while also finishing in a tie for second in home runs with four.
The Huntsville, Alabama native collected at least one base hit in each of his six games during the week, including four multi-hit performances. Tanielu's best night at the plate came in a career-best 5-6 performance in Round Rock's 19-5 win over Salt Lake on June 8. He tallied three doubles, a triple and three RBI in the lopsided win. He twice plated four runs during the week, once on June 5 and again on June 8, matching his career-high in that category as well.
During Round Rock's final two games in Las Vegas earlier in the week, Tanielu combined to hit 5-10 with four home runs and eight RBI. He recorded his first career multi-home run game on June 5 with a pair of bombs before following up that performance with a career-high six RBI via two more home runs on June 6.
On the year, Tanielu is hitting .277 (54-195) with 13 doubles, two triples, eight home runs and 40 RBI in 55 games. The 26-year-old is in his sixth season with the Astros organization after being selected by Houston in the 14th round of the 2014 MLB Draft.
The honor marks the fifth time this season that an Express player has earned an award from the PCL. OF Yordan Alvarez was previously named the PCL Player of the Week for April 29-May 5 before RHP Cy Sneed became the PCL Pitcher of the Week for May 20-26. Alvarez was selected as the league's Player of the Month for April, then OF Kyle Tucker followed up with PCL Player of the Month honors in May.
Tanielu and his Express teammates return home on Wednesday, June 12 to open a seven-game homestand with a three-game set against the Reno Aces (Arizona Diamondbacks affiliate). First pitch in the series opener at Dell Diamond on June 12 is set for 7:05 p.m.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 10, 2019
- Big Fifth Inning Helps Send Dodgers to 6-5 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Pena powers River Cats to another road series win - Sacramento River Cats
- Sacramento's Four Homers Drop Baby Cakes - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Game Notes vs. Memphis - Reno Aces
- Sounds Drop Finale in Tacoma - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Las Vegas Aviators - San Antonio Missions
- Iowa's Offense Explodes in Win over Albuquerque - Iowa Cubs
- Blewett, Chasers Topple Chihuahuas 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Pair of Pirela Dingers not Enough against Omaha - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Cubs Deny Isotopes Sweep in Series Finale - Albuquerque Isotopes
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 10, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (27-37) at Reno Aces (27-36) - Memphis Redbirds
- Gallen Earns Third Pitcher of the Week Award - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Missions Seven-Game Homestand Begins Wednesday - San Antonio Missions
- Gallen Notches Third Player of the Week Honor, Tanielu First of 2019 - PCL
- Round Rock INF Nick Tanielu Earns PCL Player of the Week Award - Round Rock Express
- Fresno Grizzlies (and "Lowriders de Fresno") Return Home for 7 Games, June 12-18 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (25-38) at Tacoma Rainiers (30-34) - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- New Orleans Stuns Round Rock in 6-5 Walkoff Defeat
- Express Bested by Redbirds 10-4 in Series Finale
- Round Rock Express, RS3 Turf and ECHO Outdoor Power Equipment to Refurbish Playing Fields at Pflugerville Little League
- Los Lonely Boys to Perform First Concert at Brushy Creek Amphitheater
- Express Complete Thrilling 11-8 Victory over Redbirds