Rockets close out weekend with 3-2 loss
The Rockets dropped their sixth game in a row Sunday night, falling 3-2 to the Portland Winterhawks at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Portland, OR.
The Rockets were once again without eight regulars in the lineup. Kyle Topping (lower body/one week), Liam Kindree (upper body/ten weeks), Nolan Foote (lower body/week to week), Sean Comrie (upper body/two weeks), Mark Liwiski (upper body/day to day), Trevor Wong (lower body/day to day) and goaltender Roman Basran (day-to-day) were out with injuries. Kaedan Korczak served the second of his three-game suspension.
The high-flying Winterhawks came into the game riding a 16-0-1-1 streak. Heading into the weekend, the U.S. Divison leading Winterhawks were ranked third in the Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings for the week.
Rockets starting netminder Cole Schwebius stopped a season-high 49 of the 52 shots he faced tonight. Ethan Ernst and Jonas Peterek found the back of the net for the Rockets in the third period.
Reece Newkirk (21) opened the scoring 10:04 into the game with a power-play one-timer from the left circle. Portland went up by two when the puck went off of Pavel Novak and into the Rockets net, Mason Mannek (6) was credited with the goal.
Jonas BrÃ¸ndberg (5) netted what would hold up as the game-winner 1:10 into the third period. Ethan Ernst (2) tipped in Elias Carmichael's shot to break Joel Hofer's shutout bid. Jonas Peterek (11) netted his third goal in four games with 18.3 seconds left in the game.
The Rockets were zero-for-three on the power play, the Winterhawks were one-for-three with the man advantage.
Kelowna will be back in action on Friday when they host the Seattle Thunderbirds for the first time this season. Tickets are on sale at selectyourtickets.com, at the Prospera Place box office or by phone at 250-762-5050.
Images from this story
Kelowna Rockets defense sets up in front of goaltender Cole Schwebius
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 20, 2020
- Broncos Announce New Leadership Group; Jaxan Kaluski Named Captain - Swift Current Broncos
- Wheat Kings' Patera Named WHL Eli Wilson Goaltending Goaltender of the Week - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Wheat Kings' Patera Named WHL Eli Wilson Goaltending Goaltender of the Week - WHL
- Blazers' Franklin Named WHL On the Run Player of the Week - WHL
- Oil Kings Sign Jayden Henderson to WHL Standard Player Agreement - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Preview: Broncos Host Oil Kings for Fourth Meeting of the Season - Swift Current Broncos
- Tigers Sign Ben Bonni - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Rockets close out weekend with 3-2 loss - Kelowna Rockets
- Hitmen, ICE Split Series at ICE Cave - Winnipeg Ice
- Wolf Keeps Seattle off the Scoreboard - Everett Silvertips
- Winterhawks Cap off Perfect Week with a Win - Portland Winterhawks
- Hitmen Outlast ICE - Calgary Hitmen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.