Robert Beric and Mauricio Pineda Announced as 2020 Chicago Fire FC Award Winners
CHICAGO - Chicago Fire FC today announced the Club's 2020 award winners, naming forward Robert BeriÄ the 2020 Most Valuable Player and defender/midfielder Mauricio Pineda the 2020 Defensive Player of the Year. Pineda, who is a product of the Chicago Fire Academy, is the first Homegrown Player in Club history to win an end-of-season team award. BeriÄ also earned 2020 Golden Boot honors after scoring a team-high 12 goals during the MLS regular season.
MOST VALUABLE PLAYER/GOLDEN BOOT: BeriÄ was acquired as a Designated Player via transfer from AS Saint-Ãtienne on Jan. 18. He made an immediate impact in his first season with the Club, scoring in the team's first match of the regular season against reigning champions Seattle Sounders FC on March 1. The Slovenian led the team with 12 goals, which tied him for second place in the 2020 MLS Golden Boot race, behind LAFC forward Diego Rossi and tied with Columbus Crew SC forward Gyasi Zardes and Seattle Sounders FC forward RaÃºl RuidÃaz. Ten of his 12 goals were scored from Sept. 1 - Nov. 8, which was the most in the league during that stretch. BeriÄ is the ninth player in Club history to lead the team in scoring during their first year with the Fire. Additionally, he finished the season tied for the most appearances on the team, featuring in each of the Club's 23 regular season matches (22 starts).
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Pineda was named Chicago's Defensive Player of the Year after a stellar rookie season. The Bolingbrook, Ill. native was a consistent presence on the backline, registering a team-high 2,022 minutes. With 23 starts in 2020, Pineda became the first Homegrown Player in Club history to start in every match of the season during a rookie campaign. He and midfielder Ãlvaro MedrÃ¡n were the only players on the team to notch 23 starts this season. Pineda was also third highest on the team in touches (1,458) and interceptions (34). On the attacking end, he dished out two assists and scored three goals, including the game-winner in the Fire's 2-1 win against reigning champions Seattle Sounders FC in the MLS is Back Tournament on July 14.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 16, 2020
- Playoff Update: First Round in the West - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: November 16, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Earthquakes Announce Playoff Activation Schedule - San Jose Earthquakes
- Experience Key to Inter Miami Ahead of Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Inter Miami CF
- Sporting KC Launches "KC as One" Mask Campaign with Harvesters - Sporting Kansas City
- Robert Beric and Mauricio Pineda Announced as 2020 Chicago Fire FC Award Winners - Chicago Fire
- LAFC Forward Diego Rossi Named AT&T MLS Young Player of the Year - Los Angeles FC
- LAFC Forward Diego Rossi Named AT&T MLS Young Player of the Year - MLS
- Know Your Opponent: New York City FC - Orlando City SC
- Philadelphia Union's Andre Blake Voted Allstate MLS Goalkeeper of the Year - Philadelphia Union
- Philadelphia Union's Andre Blake Voted Allstate MLS Goalkeeper of the Year - MLS
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- New York City FC and the YES Network to Debut "NYCFC - Home for the CityÃ¢ÂÂÃÂ Playoff Preview on Tuesday, November 17ÃÂ on YES - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire FC President Nelson Rodriguez Resigns
- Chicago Fire FC Defender/Midfielder Mauricio Pineda Called up to U.S. Men's National Team
- Chicago Fire FC Selects Three Players in 2021 MLS SuperDraft Presented by Adidas
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires 17-Year-Old Colombian Forward Jhon Jader Duran
- Chicago Fire FC to Develop New Visual Identity, Including New Primary Crest