Philadelphia Union's Andre Blake Voted Allstate MLS Goalkeeper of the Year
November 16, 2020 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK - Major League Soccer announced today that Philadelphia Union's Andre Blake has been voted the 2020 Allstate MLS Goalkeeper of the Year.
The Jamaica National Team captain captured the second Allstate MLS Goalkeeper of the Year award of his career, placing him in a five-way tie for the most in MLS history after previously earning the honor in 2016. Blake had a memorable 2020 MLS season, helping the Union capture the first trophy in club history while boasting the stingiest defense in the league. Philadelphia led MLS with a mere 20 goals allowed this season, its 0.87 goals allowed per game average the seventh-best in MLS history, and recorded the most points-per-game in the league, earning the Supporters' Shield and home-field advantage throughout the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs.
Video of the Union surprising Andre Blake is available HERE Blake posted a 77.8 save percentage and allowed 18 goals in his regular season appearances for an 0.88 goals allowed average, both league bests for goalkeepers with 20 or more appearances on the year. The 29-year-old's 13 goalkeeper wins also led MLS, with Philadelphia posting a 13-3-5 overall record in matches Blake started between the posts.
Among the top moments for Blake this season include a diving save in a 2-1 victory over the New England Revolution on Oct. 19, which is one of 12 finalists for the 2020 MLS Save of the Year presented by Allstate. Fan voting ends on Wednesday, Nov. 19 at 9 p.m. ET. The 29-year-old also registered an eight-save performance on March 8 in a 3-3 shootout draw against LAFC. Blake's eight saves in that contest are tied for the most by a goalkeeper in any regular season match this season.
Additionally, Blake was named one of five finalists for the 2020 Landon Donovan MLS MVP award, the first time a goalkeeper has been named a finalist for the award since Joe Cannon in 2004.
The Allstate MLS Goalkeeper of the Year award was voted on by MLS club technical staff, media and current MLS players. Below is a breakdown of the voting results:
Allstate MLS Goalkeeper of the Year Player % Club % Media % Final %
Andre Blake (PHI) 33.02% 49.12% 50.21% 44.12%
Matt Turner (NE) 8.49% 11.40% 16.74% 12.21%
Eloy Room (CLB) 10.03% 6.14% 6.14% 7.44%
Pedro Gallese (ORL) 8.49% 7.02% 5.08% 6.86%
Stefan Frei (SEA) 4.78% 7.89% 5.30% 5.99%
Sean Johnson (NYC) 4.32% 7.02% 5.72% 5.69%
Allstate MLS Goalkeeper of the Year Winners:
2020: Andre Blake (2) - Philadelphia Union
2019: Vito Mannone - Minnesota United FC
2018: Zack Steffen - Columbus Crew SC
2017: Tim Melia - Sporting Kansas City
2016: Andre Blake - Philadelphia Union
2015: Luis Robles - New York Red Bulls
2014: Bill Hamid - D.C. United
2013: Donovan Ricketts (2) - Portland Timbers
2012: Jimmy Nielsen - Sporting Kansas City
2011: Kasey Keller - Seattle Sounders FC
2010: Donovan Ricketts - LA Galaxy
2009: Zach Thornton (2) - Chivas USA
2008: Jon Busch - Chicago Fire
2007: Brad Guzan - Chivas USA
2006: Troy Perkins - D.C. United
2005: Pat Onstad (2) - San Jose Earthquakes
2004: Joe Cannon (2) - Colorado Rapids
2003: Pat Onstad - San Jose Earthquakes
2002: Joe Cannon - San Jose Earthquakes
2001: Tim Howard - MetroStars
2000: Tony Meola - Kansas City Wizards
1999: Kevin Hartman - LA Galaxy
1998: Zach Thornton - Chicago Fire
1997: Brad Friedel - Columbus Crew SC
1996: Mark Dodd - Dallas Burn
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 16, 2020
- Playoff Update: First Round in the West - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: November 16, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Earthquakes Announce Playoff Activation Schedule - San Jose Earthquakes
- Experience Key to Inter Miami Ahead of Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Inter Miami CF
- Sporting KC Launches "KC as One" Mask Campaign with Harvesters - Sporting Kansas City
- Robert Beric and Mauricio Pineda Announced as 2020 Chicago Fire FC Award Winners - Chicago Fire
- LAFC Forward Diego Rossi Named AT&T MLS Young Player of the Year - Los Angeles FC
- LAFC Forward Diego Rossi Named AT&T MLS Young Player of the Year - MLS
- Know Your Opponent: New York City FC - Orlando City SC
- Philadelphia Union's Andre Blake Voted Allstate MLS Goalkeeper of the Year - Philadelphia Union
- Philadelphia Union's Andre Blake Voted Allstate MLS Goalkeeper of the Year - MLS
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- New York City FC and the YES Network to Debut "NYCFC - Home for the CityÃ¢ÂÂÃÂ Playoff Preview on Tuesday, November 17ÃÂ on YES - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.