Earthquakes Weekly Update: November 16, 2020
The San Jose Earthquakes will face the top-seed Sporting Kansas City in Round One of the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs this Sunday, Nov. 22, presented by Intermedia Cloud Communications. Sunday's match from Children's Mercy Park will kick off at 1 p.m. PT and will be broadcast live on FS1 and Fox Deportes , KNBR 1050 and 1370 KZSF.
San Jose and Sporting Kansas City will face off for the first time in any competition since Aug. 17, 2019 and for the first time in the postseason since 2004.
The Quakes will host a free Drive-In Viewing Party, presented by El Jimador, for the match. Fans will come together in the 7UP Epicenter at Earthquakes Stadium to cheer on the team at a safe social distance. This event is already sold out.
NEXT GAME VS. SPORTING KANSAS CITY (11/22)
2020 MLS Playoffs Bound
The Earthquakes will face Sporting KC in the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs away on Sunday. The last time San Jose advanced past Round One was in 2012.
Club Playoff Record
The Quakes hold a 12-12-1 overall playoff record in club history, with a 4-9-0 away record.
Not the First Time
San Jose has faced Kansas City in the MLS Cup Playoffs on two occasions in club history (2003 and 2004), holding a 2-1-0 overall playoff record against them.
It's Been a While
Sunday's match will mark the first time San Jose and Sporting KC will face each other in 2020. The last time they met was on Aug. 17, 2019 at Children's Mercy Park.
Seven players from the current first team roster have made an MLS playoff appearance with the Quakes (Danny Hoesen, Florian Jungwirth, Shea Salinas, Tommy Thompson, Vako, Chris Wondolowski, Jackson Yueill). Wondolowski is the only active players to have scored in his MLS playoff career (2010).
Earthquakes vs. Sporting KC playoff match scheduled for Sunday, Nov. 22
Major League Soccer announced last Monday that the San Jose Earthquakes will face the top-seed Sporting Kansas City at Children's Mercy Park on Sunday, Nov. 22 at 1 p.m. PT, airing live on FS1/Fox Deportes. Local radio information will be announced at a later date. San Jose and Sporting Kansas City will face off for the first time in any competition since Aug. 17, 2019 and for the first time in the postseason since 2004.
Earthquakes Announce Playoff Activation Schedule
The San Jose Earthquakes announced a series of community activations leading up to their Round One playoff match against Sporting Kansas City on Sunday, Nov. 22. The match, presented by Intermedia Cloud Communications, kicks off at 1 p.m. PT and will be broadcast live on FS1 and Fox Deportes. The activations include Quake It Up days, a contest for fans to win an Earthquakes Stadium experience in their homes, a car parade that will pass through prominent areas in the South Bay and more.
Earthquakes Players Called for International Duty
San Jose Earthquakes players Guram Kashia, Marcos Lopez, and Vako have been called to their national teams for the November FIFA international break. Lopez, 20, has been called to the Peru National Team for a pair of 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers for the second time this year. Kashia, 33, and Vako, 27, have been called to the Georgia National Team for a second set of matches as part of UEFA Euro 2020 qualification and Nations League competition.
2021 Topgolf Live Stadium Tour Coming to Earthquakes Stadium
Earthquakes Stadium, home of the San Jose Earthquakes, will serve as one of the venues for the 2021 Topgolf Live Stadium Tour, hosting the Topgolf experience next August/September. Specific dates will be announced later. Earthquakes Stadium is one of 14 venues included in the 2021 Topgolf Live Stadium Tour lineup, which utilizes a variety of Major League Soccer, Major League Baseball, National Football League and college football stadiums nationwide. Earthquakes Stadium is one of two in California and the only one in the Bay Area.
Alianza de Futbol Launches Alianza Contigo to Support the Hispanic Community in San Jose
Alianza de Futbol, the largest and most prestigious soccer program in the U.S. has been supporting Hispanic soccer communities for 16 years by providing free and low-cost soccer events for youth and adults. Despite the 2020 Alianza de Futbol tour being sidelined by the Coronavirus, Alianza de Futbol continues its dedication to the Hispanic community by launching Alianza Contigo in San Jose, CA. Alianza Contigo will be a touchless experience allowing families to drive-thru and receive free food and household items in a safe environment. Food will be provided by the Allstate Sueño Alianza Food Pantry in partnership with Second Harvest of Silicon Valley, and household items will be provided by the Verizon Copa Alianza Household Pantry in partnership with Good360, the global leader in product philanthropy and purposeful giving.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 16, 2020
- Playoff Update: First Round in the West - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: November 16, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Earthquakes Announce Playoff Activation Schedule - San Jose Earthquakes
- Experience Key to Inter Miami Ahead of Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Inter Miami CF
- Sporting KC Launches "KC as One" Mask Campaign with Harvesters - Sporting Kansas City
- Robert Beric and Mauricio Pineda Announced as 2020 Chicago Fire FC Award Winners - Chicago Fire
- LAFC Forward Diego Rossi Named AT&T MLS Young Player of the Year - Los Angeles FC
- LAFC Forward Diego Rossi Named AT&T MLS Young Player of the Year - MLS
- Know Your Opponent: New York City FC - Orlando City SC
- Philadelphia Union's Andre Blake Voted Allstate MLS Goalkeeper of the Year - Philadelphia Union
- Philadelphia Union's Andre Blake Voted Allstate MLS Goalkeeper of the Year - MLS
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- New York City FC and the YES Network to Debut "NYCFC - Home for the CityÃ¢ÂÂÃÂ Playoff Preview on Tuesday, November 17ÃÂ on YES - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: January 25, 2021
- Marcinkowski, Yueill Called to USMNT Ahead of Friendly with T&T on January 31
- Earthquakes Select Cal Forward Thomas Williamson in First Round of 2021 MLS SuperDraft
- 2021 MLS SuperDraft Takes Place Today
- Earthquakes Acquire Mexican Midfielder Javier Eduardo Lopez on Loan from Chivas