Road Win Streak Ends as Boomers Fall at Joliet
JOLIET, IL - The Schaumburg Boomers, presented by Wintrust Community Banks, dropped back-to-back games for just the third time this season, suffering a 13-4 loss to the Joliet Slammers on the road, breaking a franchise record 11-game road win streak.
Sean Godfrey homered with two outs in the top of the second to give the Boomers a 1-0 lead, the only lead of the night. Joliet responded with a pair of runs in the bottom of the inning and moved ahead 5-1 with three runs against starter Conrad Wozniak in the third. Seth Spivey brought Schaumburg within 5-3 with a two-run homer in the fourth, but Joliet starter Luis Cruz retired 11 straight as the Slammers continued to build the advantage.
Wozniak, who had allowed just four runs in his first five starts, surrendered eight in four innings, seven of which scored on three homers. Four relievers tossed an inning each with Jake Joyce and Austin Kerr striking out the side. The Boomers totaled eight hits in the most lopsided loss of the year with Godfrey and David Harris each notching a pair. The loss marked the first on the road since May 30.
The Boomers, who lead the East Division by 5.5 games and are tied for the top record in the league at 28-12, return to action early on Wednesday with a 10:05 a.m. contest at Joliet. LHP Lars Liguori (4-0, 2.95) will attempt to help the Boomers avoid losing three straight for the first time this season while Joliet counters with RHP Shane Bryant (3-3, 4.30). Make the Boomers part of your plans this season by calling (847) 461-FOWL (3695). Hear all of the game action this season on AM 1410 WRMN with the voice of the Boomers, Tim Calderwood.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 28, 2017
- CornBelters Drop Series Finale to Otters - Normal CornBelters
- Miners Halt Late Grizzlies Push for Win - Southern Illinois Miners
- Slammers Continue Winning Streak over First Place Boomers - Joliet Slammers
- Road Win Streak Ends as Boomers Fall at Joliet - Schaumburg Boomers
- Grizzlies Comeback Attempt Comes up Short - Gateway Grizzlies
- Traverse City D. Lake Erie Crushers - FL
- ThunderBolts Snap Skid, Beat Lake Erie - Windy City ThunderBolts
- CornBelters Split Twinbill with Otters - Normal CornBelters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.