Rivets Dropped by Madison
Madison, Wis. - The Rockford Rivets (22-32) traveled to Madison on Thursday night and fell to the Mallards 8-7.
"We swung the bats pretty well today, which is good to see," Rivet's Manager Brian Smith said. "We put ourselves in position to win the game and that's all you can ask for each night."
Madison struck first right away and put up two runs in the first inning. Rockford would respond in the third after left fielder Parker Bates tripled to score two runs. Bates would score on the same play due to an error by the shortstop and make the score 3-2.
Rockford would then tie the game in the fourth and eventually take the lead in the seventh after Bates scored on a wild pitch to put the Rivets ahead 6-5.
Madison then put three across after second baseman Trevor Schwecke hit a bases loaded triple in the eighth inning to put Madison in front 8-6.
Designated hitter Cade Bunnell hit his third home run of the year in the top half of the ninth to pull Rockford within one run, but that's all the Rivets could get.
Cooper Cain started the game on the mound for Rockford after starting the Northwoods League All-Star game for the South Division on Tuesday night. Cain went 3.1 innings, while striking out four and allowing five earned runs on Thursday night against the Mallards.
Nathan Schneiderman came in for relief and went 3.2 innings and allowed just one hit, while recording five strikeouts. Anthony Holubecki and Dane Haveman also made appearances in relief.
"Our pitchers will start to get back into a grove," Smith said. "It's hard to take three days off and get back on schedule."
The Rivets will play Madison tomorrow in Rockford at 6:35 pm to wrap up the series against Madison.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 27, 2018
- Bullfrogs Defeat Growlers in Impressive Comeback Win - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Earn Fourth Sweep of Second Half - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bucks Fall to Duluth in 10-9 Heartbreaker - Waterloo Bucks
- Rivets Snap Mallards Streak 7-2 - Madison Mallards
- Stingers Fall to Larks in Close Affair - Willmar Stingers
- Rox Snap Honkers Win Streak - Rochester Honkers
- Rivets Halt Madison's Nine-Game Streak - Rockford Rivets
- Dock Spiders Shutout Woodchucks Behind Sanderlin - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Woodchucks Keep It Close in Fond du Lac - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Rafters Hope to Carry over Energy from Last Night's Walk-Off - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bullfrogs Drop Wild Game at Kalamazoo - Green Bay Booyah
- Rivets Dropped by Madison - Rockford Rivets
- Walk-Off Hit by Pitch Gives Rafters Third Straight Win - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Woodchucks Walk It off over Dock Spiders 5-4 - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- In Comeback Fashion the Stingers Defeat the Larks 10-6 - Willmar Stingers
- Bucks Dropped 7-3 by Duluth - Waterloo Bucks
- Huskies Shake off All Star Rust in 7-3 Win - Duluth Huskies
- Mallards Complete Comeback Win - Madison Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.