River Riders Drop Game One against Doughboys 16-8
JOHNSON CITY, TN - The Elizabethton River Riders losing streak was extended to four games Thursday night after a 16-8 defeat by the Doughboys in Johnson City. Shortstop Marcus Brown made an impression in his debut, going 2-3 with a two RBI double and scored a run.
The Doughboys (4-3) jumped out to a quick start in the bottom of the first, sending 17 to the plate and scoring 12 runs. Four of the River Riders (2-5) losses this year have had the opposing team sending nine or more batters to the plate in an inning.
E-Town responded in the top of the second inning by scoring seven runs. Centerfielder DJ Sullivan (Florence-Darlington Tech) led off the inning with his second home run of the season. Logan Sanders (Pima) brought in two runs on an RBI double. Sanders scored on Brown's two RBI double. Right fielder Garrison Berkley (TCU) tripled to score Brown. Third baseman Robin Fernandez (St. Thomas) scored Berkley on a ground out to second.
RHP Bryce Woody (Lincoln Memorial) cooled the Doughboy bats pitching three innings with three strikeouts and two hits. RHP Jack Wolgast (Southeastern) relieved Woody and matched him by going two innings with two strikeouts and one hit.
Berkeley brought in the River Riders' final run in the top of the sixth inning when he scored Sanders on a sacrifice fly to center.
Johnson City scored one run in the bottom of the seventh inning on a throwing error by catcher Johnathan Soto (Rogers State).
Three more runs were scored by the Doughboys in the bottom of the eighth when AJ O'Neal (Sacramento City) walked six straight making the final score 16-8 JC.
The River Riders will look to split the series in Johnson City tomorrow against the Doughboys, first pitch is at 7. Fans can listen to all Elizabethton River Riders games by going to https://www.mlb.com/appalachian-league/elizabethton/fans/audio-listen-live.
• Discuss this story on the Appalachian League message board...
Appalachian League Stories from June 11, 2021
- River Riders at Doughboys Postponed Due to Unsafe Playing Conditions - Elizabethton River Riders
- Friday's Doughboys Game Postponed to August 4th - Johnson City Doughboys
- Burlington Wins Big against Bristol in Series Opener - Burlington Sock Puppets
- River Riders Drop Game One against Doughboys 16-8 - Elizabethton River Riders
- Big Inning Gives Doughboys 16-8 Win - Johnson City Doughboys
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Elizabethton River Riders Stories
- River Riders Comeback against Sock Puppets, Win 4-3
- Collegiate National Team to Tour Appalachian League Boyd Sports Facilities
- River Riders Swept in Home Finale, Fall to State Liners 12-3
- River Riders Unable to Complete Comeback, Fall 9-4 to State Liners
- River Riders Unable to Complete Sweep, Lose to Flyboys 6-1