RGV FC Host Fresno FC for 2019 Home Opener
EDINBURG, Texas - Rio Grande Valley FC (0-1-0) will host Fresno FC (0-0-1) on Saturday, March 16 at H-E-B Park for their home opener (7:30 p.m. CDT).
Although the Toros dominated most of the match against Tacoma Defiance, they weren't able to gain three points off on the chances that were created which resulted in a 0-1 loss on the road. "I felt pretty good coming into Tacoma and I think we did a lot of good things and created opportunities, but a lot of those chances were wasted, and we weren't able to capitalize on the chances we created. But, I did like the fact we created those chances and the movement off the ball that we had and so the next thing is that we make sure we put those in back of the net," Head coach Gerson Echeverry commented.
Brownsville native, Isidro Martinez is a key player on the Toros roster that will represent not only the Rio Grande Valley but the team as well. "It's good to be back home to play at the home opener. Hope we get a lot of fans out to support us and get the three points that we need. Being from Brownsville it is a proud moment to me, family and friends to be a part of this organization," Martinez commented on Saturday's home opener.
Los Zorros enter week two with a draw against New Mexico United on the road. Fresno is an attacking team that is a threat up front. Juan Pablo Caffa returns for his second season with Fresno who is the main source for the teams' distributions.
"They attack everything that comes, there were a lot of crosses in the box, so they are looking for those powerful, strong players. They are also very dangerous on the break, they counter pretty fast. They have a very special guy on the ball in (Juan Pablo) Caffa who can just find between scoring goals, crossing and setting guys up, so dangerous in set pieces that you have to constantly reference. So, we need to make sure we need to reference that but with that in mind, they also need to have a concern with some of our guys, so I think it will be a good game," Echeverry added.
Saturday's match will be an exciting family-oriented night as RGV FC will host 'Lucha Libre' at 6:00 p.m. to kick off the season at home. In addition, the night's giveaway consists of RGV FC scarves to the first 500 fans, sponsored by CAPA. H-E-B Park has added a 'Kids Zone' that will have lots of games for the kiddos while you enjoy the match. The greatest special of the night will be the 4 for $44; four tickets, four hot dogs, four soft drinks and four bags of chips.
The matchup begins at 7:30 p.m. CST and will be available on ESPN+ as the 2019 USL Championship season gets rolling with week two. Updates on the match will be provided via Twitter at @RGVFC or by following #SomosToros. To see more matchday information, visit www.rgvfc.com .
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from March 15, 2019
- RGV FC Host Fresno FC for 2019 Home Opener - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Nashville SC Faces Saint Louis FC in Battle of Undefeated Teams - Nashville SC
- Phoenix Rising FC Partners with Casino Arizona for Stadium Naming Rights - Phoenix Rising FC
- Memphis 901 FC Hosts Loudoun United FC Saturday Night at AutoZone Park - Memphis 901 FC
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Hosts North Carolina FC in Home-Opener - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Congolese National Team Forward Joins Independence - Charlotte Independence
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance vs. La Galaxy II - March 16, 2019 - Tacoma Defiance
- Foster and Salazar Earn National Team Call-Ups - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Match Preview: Legion FC V. Ottawa Fury FC - Birmingham Legion FC
- Tacoma Defiance Signs Forward Justin Dhillon - Tacoma Defiance
- Indy Eleven Acquire Columbus Crew SC Defender Alex Crognale on Loan - Indy Eleven
- Real Monarchs SLC Opens 2019 Home Slate against Expansion Side El Paso Locomotive FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- Colorado Rapids Loan Clint Irwin & Kofi Opare to Switchbacks FC - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Reno 1868 FC v Austin Bold FC Match Preview - Reno 1868 FC
- Orange County SC Adds Hugo Arellano on Loan from the LA Galaxy - Orange County SC
- Independence Sign Carolina Rapids DA Product - Charlotte Independence
- North Carolina FC Brings Confidence into First Away Test - North Carolina FC
- Homegrown Caleb Duvernay Inks Professional Contract with North Carolina FC - North Carolina FC
- Jamoi Topey Receives International Call-Up - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Scottish National Team Midfielder Loaned to Charlotte from Celtic - Charlotte Independence
- Food Trucks Join Rowdies Concessions Roster - Tampa Bay Rowdies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.