Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Hosts North Carolina FC in Home-Opener
CHESTER, Pa. - Bethlehem Steel FC will host North Carolina FC in the club's 2019 USL Championship home-opener. The match will kickoff at 7:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 16 at Talen Energy Stadium in Chester, Pa. The match will be broadcast on ESPN+.
Steel FC comes into this match on a high note, having earned a 2-0 shutout victory in the club's season-opener at Birmingham Legion FC last weekend. Birmingham was a tough environment for the young squad, especially with Legion FC playing their inaugural match. Driven by goals from Zach Zandi and Kacper Przybylko, on loan from Philadelphia Union, and with Zandi earning USL Championship Team of the Week honors, the Steel were able to snag all three points.
Despite his squad's success last weekend and playing their home-opener this weekend, Steel FC Head Coach Brendan Burke knows that the match against North Carolina FC will only be more difficult. "It's kind of back to the drawing board. You get to enjoy it for a day or so and then back to the drawing board," said Burke. "Then try to prepare for a North Carolina team that showed great commitment on the defensive side of the ball last week and a real cutting edge when they got out in transition, but also when they established possession against Louisville [City FC]."
Steel FC's task this week only gets more difficult when factoring in North Carolina FC's new coach, Dave Sarachan. Sarachan has an impressive record at the highest levels of the game and knows how to get the most out of his team. He most recently served as the Interim Head Coach of the United States Men's National Team for more than a year. Head Coach Brendan Burke has already seen his impact on North Carolina.
"You can see the energy level in the group and how committed they are defending. I'd say that's number one," noted Burke. "There's a good tempo on the ball to them, I think he's just added a real element of excitement to that club. He's one of the best coaches in the country, no one would question that, and I certainly have a great respect for everything that he's accomplished in the game at so many different levels and so many different roles. You can see that in his team, his experience shows in his team."
Bethlehem Steel FC and North Carolina FC did not meet each other in 2019 preseason and have only met two times previously in league play. Steel FC holds a 1-0-1 all-time record against North Carolina, holding results of a 2-1 win and 1-1 draw in the 2018 regular-season. Philadelphia Union's Brenden Aaronson made a substitute appearance for Steel FC in the 1-1 draw last year, making this a great opportunity to check out future Union stars. Both teams are coming off season-opening wins last weekend, with the Steel spoiling Birmingham's inaugural match 2-0 and North Carolina FC soundly handling 2018 USL Cup Champions Louisville City FC. Based on North Carolina's performance last week, Burke's squad will need to lock down on defense to nullify NCFC's attack.
"I think just remaining compact. What North Carolina did so well against Louisville [City FC] was stay compact and get all their bodies behind the ball," Burke stated when asked how to defend against North Carolina. "One, we have to make them run effectively and not be back to front so quickly. When we are back to front, we need to commit numbers to the areas where we anticipate playing in to when we're a little more direct and really making sure we win those little individual battles or numbers-battles from a positional standpoint. Ultimately defending is about being organized and energetic. They showed that they were very good in that way last weekend. Hopefully we can be just as good as they were last weekend, this weekend."
2019 USL Championship Regular Season
Date: March 16, 2019
Kickoff: 7:30 p.m. ET
Location: Talen Energy Stadium, Chester, Pa.
Bethlehem Steel FC: 1-0-0
North Carolina FC: 1-0-0
Match Day Twitter: @BSteelFC
Game Day Hashtag: #BSTvNC
Game Notes: https://bit.ly/2FbuCue
Match Preview: https://bit.ly/2TOjUBV
Match Center: https://bit.ly/2O7LYeA
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from March 15, 2019
- RGV FC Host Fresno FC for 2019 Home Opener - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Nashville SC Faces Saint Louis FC in Battle of Undefeated Teams - Nashville SC
- Phoenix Rising FC Partners with Casino Arizona for Stadium Naming Rights - Phoenix Rising FC
- Memphis 901 FC Hosts Loudoun United FC Saturday Night at AutoZone Park - Memphis 901 FC
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Hosts North Carolina FC in Home-Opener - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Congolese National Team Forward Joins Independence - Charlotte Independence
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance vs. La Galaxy II - March 16, 2019 - Tacoma Defiance
- Foster and Salazar Earn National Team Call-Ups - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Match Preview: Legion FC V. Ottawa Fury FC - Birmingham Legion FC
- Tacoma Defiance Signs Forward Justin Dhillon - Tacoma Defiance
- Indy Eleven Acquire Columbus Crew SC Defender Alex Crognale on Loan - Indy Eleven
- Real Monarchs SLC Opens 2019 Home Slate against Expansion Side El Paso Locomotive FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- Colorado Rapids Loan Clint Irwin & Kofi Opare to Switchbacks FC - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Reno 1868 FC v Austin Bold FC Match Preview - Reno 1868 FC
- Orange County SC Adds Hugo Arellano on Loan from the LA Galaxy - Orange County SC
- Independence Sign Carolina Rapids DA Product - Charlotte Independence
- North Carolina FC Brings Confidence into First Away Test - North Carolina FC
- Homegrown Caleb Duvernay Inks Professional Contract with North Carolina FC - North Carolina FC
- Jamoi Topey Receives International Call-Up - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Scottish National Team Midfielder Loaned to Charlotte from Celtic - Charlotte Independence
- Food Trucks Join Rowdies Concessions Roster - Tampa Bay Rowdies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bethlehem Steel FC Stories
- Bethlehem Steel FC Buried by Charleston
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Travels to Face Charleston Battery
- Faris becomes the second Steel FC player to score 10 goals in a single season
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Travels to Face Ottawa Fury FC
- Selmir Miscic breaks the record as the youngest goalscorer for Steel FC in loss