Reyes Homers, K's 11 in Smokies Win
Sevierville, Tenn. - Tennessee's Anthony Reyes struck out 11 Braves over 7 shutout innings and launched a solo home run in the sixth as Tennessee blew out Greenville 7-1 Saturday night at Smokies Park.
Reyes - who has struck out 26 over his last two starts (14IP) - held the Braves scoreless on four hits over seven innings. The first year pro out of Southern Cal struck out four of the last six batters he faced before turning it over to the Tennessee bullpen. He held the Braves to a bloop double and three infield singles in earning his fifth win in his last six tries.
Reyes (6-2) led off the sixth against Ray Aguilar (1-2) with his second homer of the year. Tennessee jumped on the Braves bullpen for six runs over the final two innings, including a two-run homer from Chris Duncan.
Aguilar was nearly as impressive prior to Reyes' home run. The knuckle baller limited Tennessee (64-61, 25-30) to three hits.
The Braves lone run came in the ninth against Josh Kinney. Jeff Francouer led off with a singled as Greenville loaded the bases on three straight base hits. Aaron Herr bounced into a double play to avoid the shutout.
Tennessee and Greenville (56-67, 30-24) meet Sunday afternoon at 5:00 in the second game of the four game series. RHP Jeremy Cummings (5-1, 3.47) will pitch for Tennessee against RHP Kyle Davies (4-0, 2.70).
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 21, 2004
- Carolina-Chattanooga Suspended - Carolina Mudcats
- Biscuits Lose Fourth Straight - Montgomery Biscuits
- Reyes Homers, K's 11 in Smokies Win - Tennessee Smokies
- Home sweet home: Suns blank BayBears - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Ambres, Ryan power Carolina past Birmingham - Carolina Mudcats
- Stars Drop 6-1 Decision to Jaxx - Huntsville Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.