Revolution Select Jeff Caldwell in MLS End-Of-Year Waiver Draft
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The New England Revolution selected goalkeeper Jeff Caldwell with the third-overall pick in the 2019 MLS End-of-Year Waiver Draft. Caldwell's selection came following a trade with Orlando City SC, which saw New England acquire Orlando's third position in the waiver order in exchange for New England's 11th position in the waiver order and the club's 2020 second-round MLS SuperDraft selection. By selecting Caldwell in the Waiver Draft, the Revolution now hold his MLS rights and may begin contract negotiations with the two-year MLS veteran.
Caldwell, 23, was selected by New York City FC with the 19th pick in the 2018 MLS SuperDraft after a four-year career at the University of Virginia, where he recorded 61 appearances and earned All-ACC honors three times. The Todd, N.C. native made 28 appearances for USL Championship side Memphis 901 on a season-long loan from NYCFC in 2019. While at the University of Virginia, Caldwell also competed with the Colorado Rapids Under-23 team and the Seattle Sounders FC Under-23 team.
On the international stage, Caldwell earned one cap with the United States Under-20 Men's National Team in 2015, and also featured for the U-17 and U-18 national teams. He was a member of the United States' 2013 Concacaf U-17 Championship squad, and was also named to roster for the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup, but did not see game action.
The MLS offseason calendar resumes with Stage 1 of the MLS Re-Entry Draft at 3:00 p.m. ET on Tuesday, Nov. 26, followed by Stage 2 of the Re-Entry Draft on Dec. 3 at 3:00 p.m. ET. For more information on the 2019 MLS offseason, please click here.
TRANSACTION: New England Revolution selected goalkeeper Jeff Caldwell with the third-overall pick in the MLS End-of-Year Waiver Draft on Nov. 25, 2019, following a trade with Orlando City SC for Orlando's third position in the waiver order in exchange for New England's 11th position in the waiver order and the Revolution's 2020 second-round MLS SuperDraft selection.
Hometown: Todd, North Carolina
Date of Birth: Feb. 20, 1996 (Todd, North Carolina)
Nationality: United States
Acquired: Selected by the Revolution in the 2019 MLS Waiver Draft on Nov. 25, 2019.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 25, 2019
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: November 25, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Select Defender Danilo Acosta in 2019 MLS End-Of-Year Waivers Process - LA Galaxy
- MNUFC Selects Gregory Ranjitsingh in 2019 End-Of-Year Waiver Draft - Minnesota United FC
- Four Players Selected in 2019 MLS End-Of-Year Waivers Process - MLS
- Revolution Select Jeff Caldwell in MLS End-Of-Year Waiver Draft - New England Revolution
- Orlando City Acquires 2020 MLS SuperDraft Second Round Pick - Orlando City SC
- FC Cincinnati Select Midfielder Haris Medunjanin in 2019 MLS End-Of-Year Waivers Draft - FC Cincinnati
- New York City FC Midfielder Tony Rocha Agrees to New Contract - New York City FC
- Revolution Sign Defender Michael Mancienne to New Contract - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC Hires Four New Staff Members for Crew SC Academy - Columbus Crew SC
- Orlando City Signs Midfielder Uri Rosell to Two-Year Contract - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- Revolution Hire 98.5 the Sports Hub Anchor Mike "Sarge" Riley as Public Address Announcer
- Revolution Make Three Selections in 2020 MLS SuperDraft
- Matt Turner Called in to United States Men's National Team's January Camp
- New England Revolution Acquire Defender Samba Camara
- New England Revolution Announce 2020 Preseason Schedule