Return to Heart Health Park spoiled by late score from San Antonio
SACRAMENTO, California - Republic FC's first home match in nearly three weeks resulted in a 1-0 defeat to San Antonio FC Saturday evening.Despite a quiet night for the visitors in the attacking third, San Antonio broke open the scoring in the 74th minute, and grinded the match to a halt slow play and blasts from the referees whistle.
After a corner kick went long, midfielder Marcus Epps retrieved the attempt and crossed it in to Kortne Ford, who headed it in to put San Antonio up, 1-0.
"In games of football against good teams, when opportunities come you have to take them," said Coach Mark Briggs. "Because then we switch off on a set piece again, recycled set piece, don't stay with our runners don't stay with our man. And we end up losing a game one-nil that we don't deserve to lose."
Republic FC would pressure the San Antonio defense consistently throughout the night. All but two of the Indomitable Club's starters would see at least one look as Sacramento outshot San Antonio 13-5, while also holding a 55% possession edge for the contest.
"Our mentality tonight was to be disciplined and force them," said Briggs. "I thought that Jaime, Luis, and the rest of the squad did that well."
Sacramento would begin manufacturing chances early. A good cross from Jordan McCrary bounced around before finding the feet of Nabi Kibunguchy, whose 4th minute shot was cleared out by San Antonio. Newly acquired Patrick Weah followed with a look of his own just seconds later, but his shot would be saved by Matt Cardone.
Luis Felipe nearly bagged the game's first score in the 24th minute. After a long throw into the box from Jordan McCrary, Felipe fielded a flick by Emil Cuello and put an attempt on goal, but his shot would be saved by Matt Cardone's diving stop.
Just moments after coming on for Jerome Kiesewetter in the 63rd minute, Cameron Iwasa came close to putting the Indomitable Club ahead. The forwards header attempt in the 64th would go just wide off a cross from Jaime Villarreal.
New acquisition Patrick Weah impressed in his first action with Sacramento. The Minnesota United product led Republic FC with three shots, putting one on target and creating one scoring chance.
The Indomitable Club will hit the road this week in their next contest, a division matchup with Tacoma Defiance. Kickoff is set for 7:00PM and the match will be broadcast live on KQCA My58, Estrella TV Sacramento, and ESPN+.
Sacramento Republic FC 0-1 San Antonio FC
Heart Health Park, Sacramento, California
September 18, 2021
Scoring Summary: SAC- None SA- Kortne Ford (Marcus Epps) 74'
Misconduct Summary: SAC -Jamie Villarreal (caution) 10', Jordan McCrary (caution) 57', Maalique Foster (ejection) 90' SA - Matt Cardone (caution) 82', Marcus Epps (caution) 84', Jose Gallegos (caution) 86', Justin Dhillon (caution) 90' Kortne Ford (ejection) 90'
Sacramento Republic FC: Rafael Diaz, Duke Lacroix (C), Nabi Kibunguchy, Dan Casey, Jordan McCrary, Patrick Weah (Maalique Foster 63'), Luis Felipe (Andrew Wheeler-Omiunu 88'), Kharlton Belmar, Emil Cuello (Mario Penagos 88'), Jaime Villarreal (Darek Formella 76'), Jerome Kiesewetter (Cameron Iwasa 63')
Unused substitutes: Jesus Sanchez, Shannon Gomez
Stats - Shots: 14, Shots on Goal: 2, Saves: 1, Fouls: 12, Corner Kicks: _5, Offsides: 2
San Antonio FC: Matt Cardone, Mathieu Deplagne (Chris Lema 72'), Kortne Ford, Axel Sjoberg, Mitchell Taintor, Connor Maloney, Victor Giro (C), Cam Lindley, Jose Gallegos, Marcus Epps, Nathan Fogara (Justin Dhillon 80')
Unused substitutes: Carlos Mercado, Joaquin Varela, Shandon Hopeau, Leo Torres
Stats - Shots: 6, Shots on Goal: 2, Saves: 2, Fouls: 20, Corner Kicks: 3, Offsides: 0
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 19, 2021
- First Half Goal Helps SD Loyal to 1-0 Win against Tacoma Defiance - San Diego Loyal
- Tacoma Defiance Falls 1-0 Sunday to Division Rival San Diego Loyal SC - Tacoma Defiance
- Murphy Makes History as Memphis Trounce Red Bulls - Memphis 901 FC
- Tacoma Set to Face San Diego Loyal SC for the Fouth and Final Time this Season - Tacoma Defiance
- Rowdies Reflections: Maturity Aids Rowdies in Record-Setting Shutout - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Return to Heart Health Park spoiled by late score from San Antonio - Sacramento Republic FC
- New Mexico United Records 25 Shots, Tops Division Opponent Real Monarchs SLC, 2-1 - New Mexico United
- Phoenix Rising FC Wins, 2-1, vs. Orange County SC - Phoenix Rising FC
- Real Monarchs Fall 2-1 in New Mexico - Real Monarchs SLC
- LA Galaxy II Tops Oakland Roots SC 1-0 - LA Galaxy II
- San Antonio FC Finishes Road Trip with Nine Points After 1-0 Win in Sacramento - San Antonio FC
- Roots Dominate Possession, But Fall Due to Second Half Penalty - Oakland Roots
- Battery Battle Miami in 1-1 Draw - Charleston Battery
- Switchbacks FC Earn Massive Comeback Victory on the Road - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Legion FC Battles OKC Energy FC to 1-1 Draw - Birmingham Legion FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Match Preview: Republic FC vs. Tacoma Defiance
- What to Watch Across USL: Week 26
- Late game heroics salvage a point for Sacramento in mid-week contest
- Around the Leagues: World Cup Qualifying and Domestic Playoff Races Are Cause for Excitement
- Noche Latina II: Food Trucks, Performances, and More