Republic FC Will Host Liga MX's Lobos BUAP in an International Friendly on July 6
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Sacramento Republic FC will host Liga MX side Lobos BUAP on Saturday, July 6, in an international friendly, the club announced today. The match will be held at Papa Murphy's Park in Cal Expo with kickoff set for 8 p.m. Tickets will go on sale to the public via Ticketmaster.com today starting at 2 p.m.
Lobos BUAP are currently coached by former Chivas and Mexican National Team star Francisco Palencia and also count on the services of U.S. Men's National Team defender Michael Orozco. A native of Orange, Calif., Orozco scored the winning goal in the USMNT's first-ever win over the Mexican National Team at their famed Azteca Stadium. "The Wolves" will be the fourth-ever Liga MX side Republic FC face in an international friendly after previously hosting Atlas FC (twice), C.D. Guadalajara (Chivas) and C.F. Pachuca over the past five seasons.
"We're excited to welcome Lobos to Sacramento and continue our club's history of hosting international club exhibitions," said Ben Gumpert, Republic FC President & COO. "These types of games are a great opportunity to bring people in our community together from diverse backgrounds, a cornerstone of our club, and introduce new fans to what the Republic experience is all about."
"Mexico and California are more than neighbors and friends, we are family," said Liliana Ferrer, Consul General of Mexico in Sacramento. "Sports brings out the best in us. In the case of the California-Mexico relationship, it helps highlight the fact that it is a testament of true friendship, mutual respect and solidarity."
"Thrilled about this exciting announcement!" said Sacramento Vice Mayor Eric Guerra. "In today's political climate, this is a positive event to bring unity and create friendships. Soccer is a universal sport for many people around the world. We may be from different countries and cultures, but with soccer, we are one people. In keeping with the tradition of welcoming everyone to our city, we are looking forward to hosting Lobos BUAP and to an exciting match!"
In the lead-up to the friendly, Republic FC will host free youth soccer clinics across the region featuring bilingual staff with an emphasis on providing access to children in underserved communities. More information on the clinic times and locations will be announced at a later date.
The match against Lobos is included in the Republic FC season ticket member package. A limited number of walk up tickets will be available on the day of the match when gates open at 6:30 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 6, 2019
- Preview: Nashville SC Resumes League Play against Bethlehem Steel FC - Nashville SC
- Preview | Back on the Road, Indy Visits Memphis Saturday - Indy Eleven
- Energy FC Sign Former Player Jon Brown - OKC Energy FC
- Match Preview vs. Orange County SC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- USL Standouts Set for CONCACAF Gold Cup - USL
- Republic FC Will Host Liga MX's Lobos BUAP in an International Friendly on July 6 - Sacramento Republic FC
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC at Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - Ottawa Fury FC
- Coronado Earns USL Championship Fans' Choice Goal of the Week - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs New York Red Bulls II - Atlanta United 2
- Lights FC & Southern Nevada Sports Hall of Fame Unveil Charitable Outreach Program as Part of Summer of Soccer Initiatives Delivered by Zappos - Las Vegas Lights FC
- North Carolina Football Club Announces Broadcast Schedule for Remainder of Season - North Carolina FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC vs. Ottawa Fury FC - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Memphis 901 FC's Duane Muckette, Leston Paul Called-Up to Represent Trinidad & Tobago in the CONCACAF 2019 Gold Cup - Memphis 901 FC
- Ayre Experiences Liverpool Champions League Victory as a Fan in Madrid - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Special Republic FC "Indomitable City" Scarf to Benefit Free Grocery Delivery for Vulnerable, Home-bound Seniors
- Statement from Sacramento Republic FC on Confirmation of COVID-19 Case
- Upcoming Republic FC Matches Postponed
- Two Republic FC Players to Shave Heads for St. Baldrick's Fundraiser
- Republic FC Signs Three Rising Youth Academy Talents to First Team Contracts