Republic FC Surge to 6-0 Rout of Tulsa Roughnecks FC
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Cameron Iwasa and Stefano Bonomo both recorded braces to lead Republic FC to a 6-0 rout of Tulsa Roughnecks FC in what was the club's largest-ever margin of victory.
After an initial surge from the visitors, Republic FC's offense took full control of the match and their relentlessness in front of goal resulted in an early corner kick that led to the opener for the boys in Old Glory Red.
Winger Villyan Bijev whipped in a right-footed cross that defender Mitchell Taintor buried into the back of the net with to put Sacramento ahead in the eighth minute.
Republic FC doubled their lead at the close of the first half after Cameron Iwasa, wearing the captain's armband on the night, volleyed home a deflected cross from Jordan McCrary.
Sacramento made it 3-0 in the shortly after the restart when Stefano Bonomo cooly slotted home a one-timer from a few short yards out to beat Tulsa goalkeeper Mason Stajduhar. Iwasa was credited with the assist after playing the striker through on goal for his first goal of the season in league play.
Twelve minutes later, Iwasa netted his second brace in consecutive league games, heading home another Bijev cross to bring his season tally to a team-high nine goals.
The scoring didn't stop there. Bonomo bagged a brace of his own in the 74th minute after chesting home a Sam Werner cross from a free kick to make it 5-0.
Werner rounded out the historic rout with the team's sixth and final goal, completing the largest margin of victory in Republic FC's history.
With the win, the boys in Old Glory Red leap up to sixth-place in the Western Conference Standings with 23 points, level with Reno 1868 FC but with a superior goal difference.
Fittingly, Republic FC travel to Nevada next weekend to take on their regional rivals on Saturday, June 29. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. PT at Greater Nevada Field.
Sacramento Republic FC 6-0 Tulsa Roughnecks FC USL Championship Match Papa Murphy's Park - Sacramento, CA June 22, 2019 - Attendance: 9,522
Scoring Summary: SAC - Mitchell Taintor (Villyan Bijev) 8, Cameron Iwasa 44, Stefano Bonomo (Cameron Iwasa) 48, Iwasa (Villyan Bijev) 70, Stefano Bonomo (Sam Werner) 74, Sam Werner (Haris Chantzopoulos).
Misconduct Summary: SAC - Mitchell Taintor (caution) 34, Keven Aleman (caution) 90; TUL - Mallan Roberts (caution) 50
Tulsa Roughnecks FC - Mason Stajduhar; Luca Lobo, Anthony Legendre, Mallan Roberts (Manny Gonzalez 70), Cyprian Hedrick; Jeff Addai, Cristhian Altamirano, Rodrigo da Costa; Matt Sheldon (Fredlin Mompremier 58), AJ Ajeakwa (Brayan Reyes 74), Janu Silva.
Subs Not Used: Andrew MacRae, Toby Uzo
Stats - Shots: 9, Shots on Goal: 3, Saves: 3, Fouls: 14, Corner Kicks: 3, Offsides: 0.
Sacramento Republic FC - Josh Cohen; Shannon Gomez (Juan Barahona 77), Haris Chantzopoulos, Mitchell Taintor (Matt Mahoney 83), Jordan McCrary; Ray Saari, Jaime Villarreal, Sam Werner, Villyan Bijev; Cameron Iwasa, Stefano Bonomo (Keven Aleman 77).
Subs Not Used: Rafa Diaz, Drew Skundrich, Dekel Keinan
Stats - Shots: 20, Shots on Goal: 9, Saves: 3, Fouls: 15, Corner Kicks: 5, Offsides: 1.
Images from this story
Sacramento Republic FC eyes the goal vs. Tulsa Roughnecks FC
Sacramento Republic FC forward Stefano Bonomo scores vs. Tulsa Roughnecks FC
Sacramento Republic FC forward Stefano Bonomo celebrates a goal vs. Tulsa Roughnecks FC
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 23, 2019
- RGV FC Fall at Home 0-1 to Bold - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Budweiser Man of the Match: Ropapa Mensah Scores Key Goal in 3-3 Draw - Nashville SC
- Three Things: Bethlehem 1 - 2 Rowdies - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Republic FC Surge to 6-0 Rout of Tulsa Roughnecks FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Lights FC Halts El Paso's Nine Game Undefeated Streak with Second Consecutive Upset Win - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Roughnecks Struggle in Sacramento - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Orange County SC Signs United States International Michael Orozco - Orange County SC
- Orange County Battles Hard, But Loses Late - Orange County SC
- Hartford Splits Points in Closely-Contested Match with Birmingham - Hartford Athletic
- El Paso Locomotive FC Welcomes 8,117 Electric Fans for Second Largest Crowd in Franchise History - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Switchbacks FC Lose Heartbreaker 2-1 to the Real Monarchs - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Republic FC Fall 1-2 to Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Republic FC Sign 16-Year-Old Goalkeeper Diego Ramos to USL Academy Contract
- Republic FC and Maccabi Haifa FC Reach Agreement for Transfer of Goalkeeper Josh Cohen
- Republic FC Sign Polish Playmaker Dariusz Formella
- Republic FC Defeat Club America U-20 in An International Friendly