Reno Hits the Road to Take on Rio Grande Valley FC
RENO, Nev. - Coming off of a 4-0 home victory over Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC last weekend, Reno 1868 FC hits the road this weekend for a matchup with Rio Grande Valley FC. Reno enters the match in second place in the USL's Western Conference, trailing first-place Phoenix Rising FC by just three points.
"We had a good result the first time we saw them," said head coach Ian Russell. "They got embarrassed here so they're going to be looking to show that they're better than that. For us it's about keeping our mentality strong and going in knowing we can get it done on the road."
Los Azules are solidifying their second-place position in the west, and two individuals are climbing up league rankings. Corey Hertzog is tied for fourth in the league in goals with 11, and Raul Mendiola is second in assists with seven. Reno's 48 goals and 41 points on the season are bboth good for third in the USL.
Reno and Rio Grande Valley are meeting for the second time this season, with the first coming in Reno on July 3. Reno rolled RGV 4-0, thanks to two goals and an assist by Sam Gleadle. Most recently, the boys in blue defeated Colorado Springs at home 4-0. Lindo Mfeka scored two second half goals, and Mendiola tallied two assists in the first half.
"We had a really good game against them before, but I don't think they looked their best," said Russell. "I expect a better challenge when we go there."
RGV is coming off of a 2-1 road loss to Las Vegas. Five of the Toros' six wins this season have come at home, while Reno enters with a 5-4-2 road record.
Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. PT from H-E-B Park, and the match will be streamed on ESPN+. Reno will be back home next weekend to take on San Antonio FC.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 1, 2019
- Match Preview at Fresno FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Hartford Secures First Clean Sheet in Victory at Bethlehem - Hartford Athletic
- Morton Makes Eight Saves in Loss - Philadelphia Union II
- Preview: Nashville SC Travels to Kansas City to Take on Swope Park Rangers - Nashville SC
- North Carolina FC Set for Home Showdown against Indy Eleven on Saturday - North Carolina FC
- Match Preview: OTTvBHM - August 2, 2019 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Celtic Loan Recalled from Independence - Charlotte Independence
- Reno Hits the Road to Take on Rio Grande Valley FC - Reno 1868 FC
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC V Birmingham Legion FC - Ottawa Fury FC
- North Carolina FC Acquires U.S. U-20 National Team Standout Justin Rennicks on Loan from New England Revolution - North Carolina FC
- United Soccer League Announces Next Step in Creation of USL Academy League - USL
- Preview: Riverhounds SC vs. Memphis 901 FC - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Nashville SC Loans Vinnie Vermeer to Las Vegas Lights FC - Nashville SC
- Real Monarchs SLC Welcomes Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC on Friday - Real Monarchs SLC
- Championship Look Ahead - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Loudoun United - Atlanta United 2
- Real Monarchs SLC Transfers Goalkeeper Todd Morton to Bethlehem Steel FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- Bethlehem Steel FC Acquires Goalkeeper Todd Morton - Philadelphia Union II
- Hartford Chases Redemption on Road Trip to Bethlehem - Hartford Athletic
- USL Unveils Naming Conventions for Postseason - USL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.