Morton Makes Eight Saves in Loss
CHESTER, Pa. - Despite eight big saves from newly-acquired goalkeeper Todd Morton and the services of Philadelphia Union's Olivier Mbaizo in the first half, Bethlehem Steel FC fell 3-0 at home to expansion club Hartford Athletic.
The first half was an even affair, with both sides putting pressure on each other at times. Hartford's Daniel Bedoya snuck through with a 28th-minute goal. It was a very heated contest with four yellow-cards being issued in the first half. The match trended that way with two more goals, one from Hugh Alexander Dixon in the 50th minute and one from Wojciech Wojcik in the 84th minute, and three more yellows being handed out in the second half. One of those cards was the second on Steel FC defender Ben Ofeimu, seeing him leave the match early.
The Steel saw production from all over the field with Ofeimu completing 95.5% of his passes and defender Walter Cortés drawing a game-high three fouls. Midfielder Issa Rayyan created a team-high two chances, with one more coming from Mbaizo.
The Steel hit the road next to take on Nashville SC at First Tennessee Park on Saturday, August 10 (8:00 p.m. ET | Nashville, Tenn. | ESPN+).
Bethlehem Steel FC 0 - Hartford Athletic 3
Talen Energy Stadium (Chester, Pa.)
Thursday, August 1, 2019
TODAY'S MATCH INFO:
Venue: Talen Energy Stadium, Chester, Pa.
Referee: Danielle Chesky
Assistant Referees: Patrick Casey; Tyler Wyrostek
Fourth Official: Joshua Encarnacion
Weather: 85 degrees and partly cloudy
HFD - Daniel Bedoya (Hugh Alexander Dixon) 28'
HFD - Hugh Alexander Dixon (Raymond Lee) 50'
HFD - Wojciech Wojcik (Unassisted) 84'
HFD - Frederik Due (caution) 23'
HFD - Kyel Curinga (caution) 24'
BST - Olivier Mbaizo (caution) 31'
BST - Ben Ofeimu (caution) 38'
BST - Zach Zandi (caution) 63'
BST - Cole Turner (caution) 67'
BST - Ben Ofeimu (second caution; ejection) 76'
Bethlehem Steel FC: Todd Morton; Walter Cortés, Matt Real, Ben Ofeimu, Olivier Mbaizo (Nathan Harriel 46'); James Chambers ©, Cole Turner; Zach Zandi, Chavany Willis; Shanyder Borgelin (Axel Picazo 59'), Issa Rayyan (Yomi Samuele Scintu 78')
Substitutes not used: Lukas Burns; Steve Kingue, Selmir Miscic
Hartford Athletic: Frederik Due; Raymond Lee ©, Alex Davey, Sem de Wit, Kyle Curinga; Sebastian Dalgaard (Wojciech Wojcik 61'), Ryan Williams, Mads Jorgensen, Nicky Downs; Hugh Alexander Dixon (José Angulo 78'), Daniel Bedoya
Substitutes not used: Jacob Lissek; Harry Swartz
Newly acquired Steel FC goalkeeper Todd Morton made his Steel debut in the match tonight. Morton made eight saves in tonight's match.
Philadelphia Union defender Olivier Mbaizo made his return to the Steel lineup for the first time since the match against Louisville (May 26). Mbaizo played 45 minutes, made 27 passes and created one chance.
Bethlehem Steel FC's passing game was led by defender Ben Ofeimu, who completed 95.5% of his passes in the match against Hartford.
Steel FC defender Walter Cortés drew a game-high three fouls for the hosts, while midfielder Issa Rayyan created a team-high two chances.
Bethlehem Steel FC hits the road next to take on Nashville SC on Saturday, August 10 at First Tennessee Park (8:00 p.m. ET | First Tennessee Park | Nashville, Tenn. | ESPN+).
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 1, 2019
- Match Preview at Fresno FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Hartford Secures First Clean Sheet in Victory at Bethlehem - Hartford Athletic
- Morton Makes Eight Saves in Loss - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Preview: Nashville SC Travels to Kansas City to Take on Swope Park Rangers - Nashville SC
- North Carolina FC Set for Home Showdown against Indy Eleven on Saturday - North Carolina FC
- Match Preview: OTTvBHM - August 2, 2019 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Celtic Loan Recalled from Independence - Charlotte Independence
- Reno Hits the Road to Take on Rio Grande Valley FC - Reno 1868 FC
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC V Birmingham Legion FC - Ottawa Fury FC
- North Carolina FC Acquires U.S. U-20 National Team Standout Justin Rennicks on Loan from New England Revolution - North Carolina FC
- United Soccer League Announces Next Step in Creation of USL Academy League - USL
- Preview: Riverhounds SC vs. Memphis 901 FC - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Nashville SC Loans Vinnie Vermeer to Las Vegas Lights FC - Nashville SC
- Real Monarchs SLC Welcomes Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC on Friday - Real Monarchs SLC
- Championship Look Ahead - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Loudoun United - Atlanta United 2
- Real Monarchs SLC Transfers Goalkeeper Todd Morton to Bethlehem Steel FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- Bethlehem Steel FC Acquires Goalkeeper Todd Morton - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Hartford Chases Redemption on Road Trip to Bethlehem - Hartford Athletic
- USL Unveils Naming Conventions for Postseason - USL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bethlehem Steel FC Stories
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Travels to Take on Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Steel battle back from a one-goal deficit, twice, to beat Loudoun United FC
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Prepares to Host Loudoun United FC on Kids Night
- Bethlehem Steel FC Falls to Indy Eleven 2-1
- James Chambers becomes first player to make 100 starts for Steel FC in 3-3 draw