Redbirds Hand Beavers First Shutout Loss
MEMPHIS, Tenn. - P.J. Walters and three relievers pitched a combined shutout while Mark Shorey added four RBIs to lead the Memphis Redbirds to a 9-0 victory over the Portland Beavers Tuesday night at AutoZone Park.
Walters (1-0) earned his first win of the season, pitching 5 2/3 scoreless innings and allowing four hits while striking out six in the Redbirds first shutout victory of the season.
Shorey hit his first home run of the season while Mark Hamilton and Bryan Anderson each finished with two hits for the Redbirds (15-16), who recorded 11 total hits.
Craig Stansberry tallied three hits for the Beavers (13-19), who entered the game as one of only two teams in the PCL to not be shut out this season.
In his first start of the season for the Beavers, Matt Buschmann (0-1) gave up four hits and three runs in four innings of work.
Shorey hit a three-run home run in the second inning off of Buschmann to give the Redbirds an early 3-0 lead. Mark Hamilton led off the inning with a walk and Bryan Anderson singled to set up the three-run home run.
With two outs in the sixth inning, Shorey drove in Hamilton with a double to right field. Amaury Cazana followed with a single to drive in Shorey and put the Redbirds up 5-0.
Memphis scored four unearned runs in the bottom of the seventh inning to take a 9-0 lead, highlighted by a two-run double by Hamilton.
Rich Hill, Josh Kinney, and Trey Hearne pitched the final 3 1/3 innings to finish the blanking.
The Beavers and Redbirds meet again Wednesday at 5:05 p.m. (Pacific) in the second game of their four-game set at AutoZone Park.
NOTES: Craig Cooper drew his third walk of the season Tuesday night, his first since April 17 ... Tuesday's game in Memphis was a return home of sorts for Buschmann who played his college career in Tennessee at Vanderbilt ... Mark Worrell made his first appearance against the Redbirds since being traded from the St. Louis Cardinals organization following the 2008 season ... infielder Anthony Contreras pitched the bottom of the eighth inning for the Beavers.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 11, 2010
- Aces Offense Stalls in 10-2 Loss to O-Royals - Reno Aces
- Express Score Early, Often to Defeat Salt Lake 10-2 - Round Rock Express
- Sox 9th Inning Rally Not Enough, Fall to 'Topes, 6-5 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Z's Rally Late, but Fall to Fresno 8-4 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Shorey leads 'Birds by Beavers - Memphis Redbirds
- Redbirds Hand Beavers First Shutout Loss - Portland Beavers
- Sounds Open Homestand with Extra-Inning Victory - Nashville Sounds
- Angels Recall Cassevah, Activate Fernando Rodriguez - Salt Lake Bees
- Grizzlies 2010 Manager's Luncheon - Fresno Grizzlies
- Osterman Trade Adds To NPF Series At The Dell Diamond - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Dale Murphy To Appear At Greer Stadium On May 18 - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss