Red Downs White 2-1 at Fan Fest
Saturday's Fan Fest started with a skills competition. The players split into four teams to compete in four events: fastest skater, hardest shot, shooting accuracy/rapid shot and breakaway challenge.
The competition started with a one-on-one race around the rink to determine who the fastest skater was. Corey Tamblyn took home the title, followed by Spencer Asuchak, Jarret Lukin then Mackenzie Micks. Afterwards, the goalies took to the ice. Bryan Cook skated against Bryan Pitton against with Pitton diving across the finish line with the win.
One player from each team then participated in a hardest shot competition, in which they each took three shots. Tyler Ludwig recorded the fasted shot at 94 mph. Ross Rouleau and Trevor Hendrikx tied for second with a 93 mph shot, followed by Peter Cintala clocking a 92 mph shot.
Team White won the rapid shot competition with Matt Robertson and John Snowden notching four shots total. Robertson scored the most of any player competing with three.
Lastly, the teams competed in a breakaway challenge. The grey team took away the win with the white team coming in a close second.
Scrimmage Red 2 White 1
The first annual Red-White Scrimmage began with the team announcing their assistant captains and captain. Forwards Darryl Bootland and Jarret Lukin will serve as the assistant captains this season. Defenseman Mike Berube will be wearing the C this season as the newest captain of the Americans.
The Red team beat the White team during the scrimmage with a score of 2-1. Goals were scored in each period of the scrimmage.
Matt Robertson notched the first goal of the scrimmage at the 10:08 mark of the first period, with the assists by Charles Lachance and Darryl Bootland.
The Robertson, Lachance and Bootland line struck again at the 3:57 mark of the second period giving the Red team a 2-0 lead. Lachance found the net, giving Bootland his second assist of the night and Robertson his first.
The White team answered in the third period with a pass from Corey Tamblyn to Spencer Asuchak at the 10:13 mark in the third period.
However, the White team's efforts came too late and they fell to the Red team.
The Americans open the regular season next Saturday night in Wichita, with the home opener Sunday, October 20th at 4:05 pm.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from October 12, 2013
- Cutthroats Fall 4-2 to Rush in Second Preseason Game - Denver Cutthroats
- Red Downs White 2-1 at Fan Fest - Allen Americans
- Americans Name Mike Berube 4th Captain in Team History - Allen Americans
- Oilers Edged by Thunder in Exhibition Game - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Win Exhibition Game 4-3 in Shootout - Wichita Thunder
- Denver Cutthroats Face Rapid City Rush for Preseason Game - Denver Cutthroats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Allen Americans Stories
- Team-Record Seven Americans Players Headed to Minnesota Wild Training Camp
- Americans Add Former Stars Draft Pick, and University of Denver Defenseman to the Mix
- Americans Announce Signing of Defenseman Kayle Doetzel
- Americans Add Offensive Punch on the Blue-Line with Addition of Turner Ottenbreit
- Americans Add Experience up Front with Addition of Shawn O'Donnell