Real Salt Lake Plays to Scoreless Draw with FC Dallas
SANDY, Utah - Real Salt Lake (5-7-7, 22 points) settled for a scoreless draw against FC Dallas on Saturday night in front of 4,078 fans at Rio Tinto Stadium.
Andrew Putna made two saves to register his fourth shutout of 2020, the team's seventh of the year, but RSL couldn't capitalize on its 24-8 shooting advantage.
Postgame quotes from RSL v FCD.
RSL controlled the first half of play from the opening whistle and nearly found the opening goal in the 8th minute but Douglas Martinez's shot from six yards struck the upright - the first of three RSL shots to carom off the woodwork on the night. The hosts continued to pressure the FC Dallas goal and again had a good chance from Corey Baird denied by Jimmy Maurer in the FC Dallas goal. In the 34th minute, Pablo Ruiz unleashed a shot from 35 yards that beat Maurer, only to careen off the crossbar to send the teams into the halftime break scoreless, despite 18 shots from the hosts.
The second half saw the visitors claw back into the match, forcing Putna into two saves in the final 45 minutes to preserve the shutout. A flurry of opportunities fell to RSL in the second half but none tested the FC Dallas goal as the home side had to settle for a point.
UP NEXT: RSL will now visit San Jose to face the Earthquakes on Wednesday, October 28 at Avaya Stadium. Kickoff from California is set for 8:30 p.m. MT.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
- Forward Giuseppe Rossi and forward Chris Garcia were not medically cleared to play.
- Midfielder Albert Rusnak returned from international duty after playing three matches with Slovakia in 2020 Euro Qualifying Playoffs and UEFA Nations League. He missed four matches while away in Europe, with RSL posting a 1-3-0 record in those four matches. He played 90 in the match against FC Dallas.
- With 18 shots in the first half, RSL equaled the club's all-time record for shots in one half, set previously on August 29, 2020 against Portland Timbers FC.
- Tonight's match marked defender Donny Toia's 150th career MLS regular season match.
Match: Real Salt Lake vs. FC Dallas
Date: October 24, 2020
Venue: Rio Tinto Stadium; Sandy, Utah
Weather: Partly cloudy and 55 degrees
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
Real Salt Lake 0 0 0
FC Dallas 0 0 0
Real Salt Lake (4-2-3-1): Andrew Putna; Aaron Herrera, Marcelo Silva, Nedum Onuoha, Donny Toia; Pablo Ruiz (Nick Besler 79'), Damir Kreilach; Maikel Chang (Jeizon Ramirez 79'), Albert RusnÃ k, Corey Baird; Douglas Martinez (Justin Meram 69')
Subs not used: David Ochoa, Justen Glad, Alvin Jones, Tate Schmitt, Kyle Beckerman, Justin Portillo
FC Dallas (4-2-3-1): Jimmy Maurer; Bryan Reynolds, Bressan, Reto Ziegler, Ryan Hollingshead; Tanner Tessmann, Thiago Santos;Michael Barrios (Ema Twumasi 90'+3) Andres Ricaurte (Matt Hedges 70'), Jesus Ferreira (Fafa Picault HT); Franco Jara (Brandon Servania 86')
Subs not used: Phelipe, John Nelson, Callum Montgomery, Dante Sealy, Ricardo Pepi
Stats Summary: RSL / FCD
Shots: 24 / 8
Shots on Goal: 3 / 2
Saves: 2 / 3
Corner Kicks: 7 / 5
Fouls: 12 / 9
Offside: 0 / 1
FCD: Franco Jara (caution) 75'
RSL: Jeizon Ramirez (caution) 90'+2
Referee: Alex Chilowicz
Assistant Referees: Jeremy Hanson, Benjamin Hall-Volpenhein
4th Official: Michael Radchuk
VAR: Alejandro Mariscal
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 25, 2020
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 0, LAFC 2 - Sunday, October 25, 2020 - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Defeats Rival LA Galaxy 2-0 on Sunday at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: October 26 Ã¢ÂÂ November 1 - Chicago Fire
- Nashville SC Faces Crucial Week After Earning Four Points against FC Dallas, New England Revolution - Nashville SC
- Quakes remain above playoff line in eighth - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas and Real Salt Lake Play to Scoreless Draw - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Plays to Scoreless Draw with FC Dallas - Real Salt Lake
- 'Caps rally behind Adnan, Ricketts goals for massive win - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sporting Takes First Place in 4-0 Win over Colorado - Sporting Kansas City
- Union claim first place in Eastern Conference; Sergio Santos nets hat-trick - Philadelphia Union
- Philadelphia Union (5) - Toronto FC (0) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Chicago Fire FC Extend Home Unbeaten Streak to Six Games, Draw New York Red Bulls 2-2 - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Ends 2020 with 2-0 Defeat to Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2020 Club Award Winners
- Real Salt Lake Closes 2020 Season Sunday against Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Confirms Positive COVID Test
- Real Salt Lake Eliminated from Postseason Contention in 2-1 Loss