Union claim first place in Eastern Conference; Sergio Santos nets hat-trick
CHESTER, Pa. - The Philadelphia Union beat Toronto FC 5-0 at home on Saturday night at Subaru Park. They are now the only team in MLS with a perfect home record, winning seven consecutive home matches. With the win, the Union now have 41 points, putting them in first place in the Eastern Conference. Kai Wagner found Sergio Santos in the 27' to give the Union the lead. 7 minutes later, Mark McKenzie scored his second career goal to double the lead. In the second half, Jamiro Monteiro scored his second goal of the season in the 56'. Kai Wagner found Sergio Santos again in the 63' to make it 4-0 and five minutes later he completed his hat-trick, making it the fourth hat-trick in Union history. Przybylko and Wagner both registered two assists on the night. The Union are back home at Subaru Park on October 28th where they will face Chicago Fire. (7:30 p.m. ET / PHL17).
Philadelphia Union 5 - Toronto FC 0
Subaru Park (Chester, PA)
Saturday, October 24, 2020
TODAY'S MATCH INFO
Referee: Jair Marrufo
Assistant Referees: Brian Dunn, Kyle Atkins
Fourth Official: Luis Arroyo
VAR: Daniel Radford
AVAR: Tom Supple
Weather: 59 degrees and cloudy
PHI - Sergio Santos (Wagner) 27'
PHI - Mark McKenzie (Monteiro, Przybylko) 33'
PHI - Jamiro Monteiro (Przybylko) 56'
PHI - Sergio Santos (Wagner) 63'
PHI - Sergio Santos (Aaronson, Przybylko) 68'
PHI - Jamiro Monteiro (caution) 9'
TOR - Auro (caution) 10'
PHI - Andre Blake (caution) 64'
TOR - Patrick Mullins (caution) 73'
Philadelphia Union: Andre Blake; Mark McKenzie, Jakob Glesnes, Kai Wagner, Ray Gaddis; Jose Martinez (Jack Elliott, 74'), Jamiro Monteiro, Alejandro Bedoya (Ilsinho, 82'), Brenden Aaronson ( Anthony Fontana, 82'); Sergio Santos (Andrew Woote,n 69'), Kacper Przybylko (Cory Burk,e 69')
Substitutes not used: Joe Bendik; Cole Turner, Olivier Mbaizo, Aurelien Collin
Toronto FC: Quentin Westberg; Nick DeLeon (Ralph Priso 64'), Laurent Ciman, Omar Gonzalez, Auro (Justin Morrow 45'); Michael Bradley, Marky Delgado (Liam Fraser 45'), Alejandro Pozuelo ( Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty 72'), Richie Laryea, Tsubasa Endoh; Erickson Gallardo (Patrick Mullins 35')
Substitutes not used: Kevin Silva; Tony Gallacher, Jacob Shaelburg, Jayden Nelson
With the win tonight, the Union now have 41 points, putting them in first place in the Eastern Conference... they are the only team in MLS with perfect home record this season.
Sergio Santos recorded his first career MLS hat-trick tonight, making it the 4th hat-trick in Union history (Sebastien Le Toux: April 10, 2010; Roland Alberg: June 22, 2016; CJ Sapong: May 6, 2017; Sergio Santos: October 24, 2020)... He is now tied for the most goals on the Union this season with seven... Santos is the 13th Union player to score 10 regular-season goals in their career
This is the third time that the Union outscored an opponent by five goals (10/22/2017 vs. ORL 6-1; 5/4/2019 vs. NER 6-1).
Andre Blake picked up another clean sheet tonight. He is now tied for first with eight.
Homegrown defender Mark McKenzie scored his second career goal tonight in his 45th appearance.
Midfielder Jamiro Monteiro scored his second goal of the season and registered an assist on the night.
Kai Wagner and Kacper Przybylko recorded two assists on the night. Przybylko now has 5 assists this season. Wagner is the 15th Union player to record 10 regular-season assists in their career.
Brenden Aaronson registered an assist in his 45th career start.
The Union had 27 total shots tonight, one shy of tying a team record (28). They also had 11 corners, 3 shy of the team record (14).
The Union are back home at Subaru Park on October 28th where they will face Chicago Fire. (7:30 p.m. ET / PHL17).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 25, 2020
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 0, LAFC 2 - Sunday, October 25, 2020 - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Defeats Rival LA Galaxy 2-0 on Sunday at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: October 26 Ã¢ÂÂ November 1 - Chicago Fire
- Nashville SC Faces Crucial Week After Earning Four Points against FC Dallas, New England Revolution - Nashville SC
- Quakes remain above playoff line in eighth - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas and Real Salt Lake Play to Scoreless Draw - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Plays to Scoreless Draw with FC Dallas - Real Salt Lake
- 'Caps rally behind Adnan, Ricketts goals for massive win - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sporting Takes First Place in 4-0 Win over Colorado - Sporting Kansas City
- Union claim first place in Eastern Conference; Sergio Santos nets hat-trick - Philadelphia Union
- Philadelphia Union (5) - Toronto FC (0) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Chicago Fire FC Extend Home Unbeaten Streak to Six Games, Draw New York Red Bulls 2-2 - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Philadelphia Union Exercise 2021 Options on Seven Players
- Philadelphia Union Sign Forward Cory Burke to New Contract
- Two Philadelphia Union Players to Join USMNT for Upcoming Friendly
- Philadelphia Union Ousted by New England Revolution 2-0
- Homegrown Stars and World Cup Veterans Headline 2020 MLS Best XI