Real Monarchs Fall 2-1 to Portland Timbers 2
HERRIMAN, Utah - Real Monarchs dropped three points in a 2-1 loss to Portland Timbers 2 at Zions Bank Stadium on Wednesday night, seeing the club eliminated from 2020 USL Championship Playoff contention.
Kyle Coffee scored early in the first half but second half goals from the visitors sealed the victory.
After several missed chances to start the first half, the Monarchs struck in the 28th minute when Bode Davis sent a low cross into the box towards Coffee for the tap in goal to open the scoring. In a flurry of chances late in the half for Timbers 2, forward Giovanni Calixtro found the back of the net with a header but was called offside. In the 45th minute, Gonzalez saw a header with eyes for the goal punched away in a diving effort by David Ochoa to protect the 1-0 lead into the break.
Just 15 minutes into the second half in the 60th minute, Marcus Epps gave Timbers 2 the equalizer with a right-footed curling shot that found the far-bottom corner of the net. Later in the match, Jorge Gonzalez collected a low-cross inside the box and buried the right-footed shot to give Portland the 2-1 lead in the 79th minute. The Monarchs pushed for a goal in added time, but a final shot on frame by midfielder Ricardo Avila was pushed away by goalkeeper Jake Leeker to preserve the win for Timbers 2.
UP NEXT: Real Monarchs travel to El Paso to take on Locomotive FC at Southwest University Park on Saturday, September 19 at 7:30 p.m.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
SLC: Kyle Coffee (Bode Davis), 28th minute: Kyle Coffee tapped the ball into the top right corner from close range following a low-crossing pass from Bode Davis.
POR: Marcus Epps (Jorge Gonzalez), 60th minute: Marcus Epps fired a right footed curling shot past the keeper and into the bottom right corner of the net.
POR: Jorge Gonzalez (Giovanni Calixtro), 79th minute: Following a pass into the box by Giovanni Calixtro, Jorge Gonzalez buried a right-footed shot into the back of the net.
Monarchs defender Michael Wetungu made his professional debut in the match.
Defender Steve Jasso recorded his first start of the 2020 season.
Wednesday's loss to Timbers 2 sees Monarchs eliminated from playoff contention in 2020.
Match: Real Monarchs vs. Portland Timbers 2
Date: September 16, 2020
Venue: Zions Bank Stadium; Herriman, Utah
Weather: Sunny and 79 degrees
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
Real Monarchs 1 0 1
Portland Timbers 2 0 2 2
SLC: Kyle Coffee (Bode Davis) 28'
POR: Marcus Epps (Jorge Gonzalez) 60'
POR: Jorge Gonzales (Giovanni Calixtro) 79'
Real Monarchs (4-2-3-1): David Ochoa; Steve Jasso, Taylor Peay, Michael Wetungu (NicolÃ¡s Giménez, 67'), Zack Farnsworth; Ricardo Avila, Sam Brown (Jack Blake, 63'); Julian VÃ¡zquez (Dayonn Harris, 57'), Devin Vega (Luis Arriaga, 63'), Bode Davis; Kyle Coffee (Ryan Sierakowski, 63')
Subs not used: James Slayton, Daniel Flores
Portland Timbers 2 (4-5-1): Jake Leeker; Aedan Stanley, Max Ornstil, Harold Hanson, Isaac Homer; Jorge Gonzalez, Marcus Epps, Jose Anguiano, Tega Ikoba (Dyson Clapier, 61'), Aaron Molloy; Giovanni Calixtro
Subs not used: Hunter Solte, Mitchell Ferguson, Salvador Villegas, Cullen Wilkerson, Gerardo Duran
STATS SUMMARY: SLC / POR
Shots: 10 / 12
Shots on Goal: 4 / 5
Saves: 3 / 3
Corner Kicks: 3 / 9
Fouls: 13 / 7
Offsides: 1 / 2
SLC - Steve Jasso (caution) 53'
POR - Aaron Molloy (caution) 85'
POR - Marcus Epps (caution) 86'
Referee: Malik Badawi
Assistant Referees: Kali Smith, Bennett Savage
4th Official: Jordan Downs
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 17, 2020
- USL Statement: COVID-19 Test Results - September 17, 2020 - USL
- North Carolina FC to Play Charlotte Independence on 919 Soccer Saturday - North Carolina FC
- Match Preview- Tampa Bay Rowdies at Atlanta United 2 - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Memphis 901 FC "Equality 4 All" Jersey up for Auction - Memphis 901 FC
- Two Austin Bold FC Matches Rescheduled - Austin Bold FC
- San Antonio FC Schedule Update - San Antonio FC
- FC Tulsa's Saturday Road Match at Rio Grande Valley FC Postponed - FC Tulsa
- Toros Release Updated Schedule - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Bijev's Sensational Strike Wins Goal of the Week - Sacramento Republic FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC at Loudoun United FC - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Charlotte Independence Releases Seating Options for American Legion Memorial Stadium - Charlotte Independence
- Soccer Holdings' Speaker Series Launches with 'Race in Sports' Theme - Louisville City FC
- School Supply Drive Exceeds Expectations - Sacramento Republic FC
- Austin Bold FC Fall 3-2 to San Antonio FC in Five-Goal Thriller - Austin Bold FC
- San Antonio FC Clinches 2020 Playoff Spot with 3-2 Win over Austin - San Antonio FC
- Real Monarchs Fall 2-1 to Portland Timbers 2 - Real Monarchs SLC
- Switchbacks FC Drop 2-1 Result to El Paso - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Monarchs SLC Stories
- Real Monarchs Falls 4-0 to Locomotive FC in Final Match of 2020
- Real Monarchs Fall 1-0 to New Mexico United in Penultimate Match of 2020
- Real Monarchs Draws 1-1 with Colorado Springs
- Real Monarchs Visit Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Real Monarchs Fall to El Paso Locomotive 1-0