Austin Bold FC Fall 3-2 to San Antonio FC in Five-Goal Thriller
Austin, TX - Austin Bold FC fell to San Antonio FC 3-2 in a five-goal thriller at Toyota Field on Wednesday night.
Luis Solignac got the home team out to an early lead. The Bold got close to an equalizer before the first half with Sonny Guadarrama hitting the post and Billy Forbes forcing SAFC goalkeeper Matt Cardone into a big save. Beto Avila finally broke through in the second 45 to score his second goal of the season. San Antonio quickly responded through Cristian Parano, and The Bold once again drew even with a powerful Sean McFarlane JR shot. Jose Gallegos put San Antonio in the lead for the third time to finish the 3-2 victors.
San Antonio FC wasted no time getting on the scoreboard with Solignac getting the first of the night in the first minute. Parano slipped a through ball by the Austin defense, and Solignac hit a right-footed shot to the bottom right corner for a 1-0 lead. The Bold controlled possession for the rest of the first half with 64% but couldn't find an equalizer with their seven shots.
Austin native Avila scored his second goal of the season in the 50' to bring the match level at 1-1. McFarlane danced through the SAFC defense and rocketed a low hard ball across goal. Avila stretched out to powerfully poke in a right footed shot from close range.
Parano gave the home side the lead once again in the 56' with an outside the box strike. The young Argentinian cut inside and curled in a left-footed shot just out of Bold goalkeeper Diego Restrepo's reach.
The Bold didn't stop pushing and found a second equalizer four minutes later through McFarlane. The full-back pinned the SAFC defenders towards their own goal with a series of stepovers and smashed home a rocket from a tight angle to Cardone's near post.
Gallegos put the match out of reach in the 72'; the San Antonio midfielder snuck a soft shot through the Bold defense to the bottom right side of the goal to end the match 3-2. The night's results keep Austin Bold one point behind FC Tulsa for the final playoff spot in Group D.
Post Match Quotes:
Sean McFarlane JR on what is needed by the team to bounce back after Wednesday's result
"I just think that as a team we have to continue doing everything we're currently doing and definitely limit our mistakes. We have been phenomenal playing-wise but some times things get careless and that's how other teams get us."
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 17, 2020
- USL Statement: COVID-19 Test Results - September 17, 2020 - USL
- North Carolina FC to Play Charlotte Independence on 919 Soccer Saturday - North Carolina FC
- Match Preview- Tampa Bay Rowdies at Atlanta United 2 - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Memphis 901 FC "Equality 4 All" Jersey up for Auction - Memphis 901 FC
- Two Austin Bold FC Matches Rescheduled - Austin Bold FC
- San Antonio FC Schedule Update - San Antonio FC
- FC Tulsa's Saturday Road Match at Rio Grande Valley FC Postponed - FC Tulsa
- Toros Release Updated Schedule - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Bijev's Sensational Strike Wins Goal of the Week - Sacramento Republic FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC at Loudoun United FC - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Charlotte Independence Releases Seating Options for American Legion Memorial Stadium - Charlotte Independence
- Soccer Holdings' Speaker Series Launches with 'Race in Sports' Theme - Louisville City FC
- School Supply Drive Exceeds Expectations - Sacramento Republic FC
- Austin Bold FC Fall 3-2 to San Antonio FC in Five-Goal Thriller - Austin Bold FC
- San Antonio FC Clinches 2020 Playoff Spot with 3-2 Win over Austin - San Antonio FC
- Real Monarchs Fall 2-1 to Portland Timbers 2 - Real Monarchs SLC
- Switchbacks FC Drop 2-1 Result to El Paso - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin Bold FC Stories
- Austin Bold FC Announces Six Returning Players for 2021 Season
- USL Academy League Reveals Founding South-Central Division Members
- Austin Bold FC Finishes the Season with 2-1 Victory over San Antonio FC
- Preview: Austin Bold FC V San Antonio FC
- Austin Bold FC Fall 2-0 to Rio Grande Valley FC