Rapids Sign Forward Melvin Tarley
DENVER, CO (Tuesday, August 15, 2006)- The Colorado Rapids announced today the signing of forward Melvin Tarley. Details of the transaction were not made public. The Rapids acquired Tarley's rights from Real Salt Lake in exchange for a 4th round pick in the 2007 MLS Supplemental draft.
Tarley broke into MLS in 2005 when he had a goal and an assist in nine games with Real Salt Lake. The Liberian striker was discovered during the Minnesota Thunder's run in the 2005 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. Tarley scored six goals during that competition, including four against the Colorado Rapids, to tie as the tournament's top goalscorer.
Tarley, who holds a green card status, will not count as a Senior International on the Rapids roster.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 15, 2006
- Wizards vs. Fire game notes - Sporting Kansas City
- Chivas USA Weekly Update - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- MLS weekly preview & broadcast info - MLS
- United Drives to collect toys during August - D.C. United
- New England Revolution Midfielder Clint Dempsey Suspended and Fined - New England Revolution
- Rapids Weekly Notes - Colorado Rapids
- Rapids Sign Forward Melvin Tarley - Colorado Rapids
- Final Bob Evans Buck-A-Brat Night Is Wednesday, August 16 - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Colorado Rapids Announce Switchbacks FC as New USL Affiliate
- Colorado Rapids Conclude Four-Year Affiliation with Charlotte Independence
- Statement from Colorado Rapids Owner E. Stanley Kroenke on the Passing of Paul Allen
- Colorado Rapids Recall Five Players from USL Loan
- Colorado Rapids Recall Goalkeeper Andrew Dykstra from Charlotte Independence