Rapids Maintain Momentum with 6-2 Preseason Win Against CF Montréal
ORLANDO, Florida - The Rapids kicked off their second leg of preseason with an impressive 6-2 victory over CF Montréal on Saturday afternoon. Djordje Mihailovic, Calvin Harris, Cole Bassett, Rafael Navarro, Jonathan Lewis and Kimani Stewart-Baynes all found the net in the impactful win against Montréal, totaling 16 goals in three matches.
The match consisted of four 30-minute quarters, with a complete lineup change occurring in the 77th minute. Colorado began assertively, scoring a goal in the sixth minute, extending their streak of early goals to three-consecutive preseason matches. In a chaotic sequence following Cole Bassett's deflected cross, forward Rafael Navarro nudged the ball to Connor Ronan. Ronan threaded a pass through traffic to fellow midfielder Djordje Mihailovic, who capitalized on the opportunity to open the scoring against his former club. Mihailovic had played for CF Montréal from 2021-22. The second goal was a result of a swiftly taken free kick by midfielder Jasper Löffelsend, who then found midfielder Cole Bassett. Bassett then provided a pinpoint pass to Calvin Harris, who outpaced the defender with remarkable speed, securing the forward's fourth goal in three matches.
As the first 60 minutes neared a close, Montréal responded with goals from Dominik Yankov in the 48th minute and Nathan Saliba in the 51st minute, respectively, leveling the match.
The second set of 60 minutes began briskly, as Jonathan Lewis pressured a Montréal defender into a pass that was mishit by his teammate. Seizing the opportunity, Cole Bassett intercepted the pass, rapidly reinstating Colorado's lead. In the 73rd minute, Connor Ronan delivered a set piece from outside the box, which connected with defender Andreas Maxsø's head. Maxsø then directed the ball to Rafael Navarro, who executed a diving header, doubling Colorado's lead.
Wholesale changes were made for the Rapids in the 77th minute. Among the substitutions was Noah Strellnauer, a product of the Rapids Academy who currently plays at the U17 level, making his first appearance with the first team. In the 82nd minute, Rapids homegrown midfielder Oliver Larraz linked up with Rapids 2 midfielder Marlon Vargas, who had been called up for the match. Vargas delivered a curling cross into the box, finding Lewis, who netted the club's fifth goal of the day. This goal marked Lewis' second-consecutive match with a goal, bringing his tally to three goals in four matches. To complete the scoring, Marlon Vargas whipped the ball into the box, where Lewis assisted Kimani Stewart-Baynes, who scored the Rapids' sixth goal of the match in the 95th minute. This goal signified the Generation adidas forward's second goal in as many matches. In the 106th minute, newly signed Rapids 2 defender Steve Flores substituted into the match.
The Rapids have two more matches scheduled in Orlando. Their closed-door encounter with Hartford Athletic of the USL Championship is set for 9 a.m. MT on Wednesday, Feb. 14, followed by a match against Orlando City SC on Sunday, Feb. 17, at 5:30 p.m. MT.
Colorado Rapids - 6
CF Montréal - 2
COL: Djordje Mihailovic (Connor Ronan) 6'
COL: Calvin Harris (Cole Bassett) 37'
MTL: Dominik Yankov 48'
MTL Nathan Saliba 51'
COL: Cole Bassett 62'
COL: Rafael Navarro (Andreas Maxsø) 73'
COL: Jonathan Lewis (Marlon Vargas) 82'
COL: Kimani Stewart-Baynes (Jonathan Lewis) 95'
Cole Bassett, Moïse Bombito, Calvin Harris, Jasper Löffelsend (Oliver Larraz 60'), Andreas Maxsø, Djordje Mihailovic, Rafael Navarro, Connor Ronan, Keegan Rosenberry ©, Zack Steffen (Adam Beaudry 90'), Jackson Travis
Lalas Abubakar ©, Sebastian Anderson, Kévin Cabral, Michael Edwards, Alex Gersbach (Steve Flores* 106'), Kimani Stewart-Baynes, Noah Strellnauer^, Marlon Vargas*
* = Rapids 2
^ = Rapids Academy
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 10, 2024
- Revolution Preseason Continued Saturday at Orlando City SC - New England Revolution
- Rapids Maintain Momentum with 6-2 Preseason Win Against CF Montréal - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Draw 1-1 with New York City FC in First 2024 Coachella Valley Invitational Match - Portland Timbers
- NYCFC Draws with Portland at Coachella Valley Invitational - New York City FC
- Quakes fall in second Coachella Valley Invitational match - San Jose Earthquakes
- Legendary Chicago Fire FC Goalkeeper Zach Thornton to be Inducted into Ring of Fire at Soldier Field on April 27 - Chicago Fire FC
- 4 Takeaways from FC Cincinnati's Preseason Victory over Philadelphia Union - FC Cincinnati
- Rapids Open Second Leg of Preseason against CF Montréal - Colorado Rapids
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Colorado Rapids Announce Roster Compliance Breakdown
- Colorado Rapids Acquire $175,000 in 2024 General Allocation Money
- Colorado Rapids Waive Defender Alex Gersbach and Midfielder Sidnei Tavares
- Rapids Travel to Providence Park to Open 2024 Campaign Against Portland Timbers
- Colorado Rapids Announce Full Technical Staff for 2024 MLS Season