Rapids Open Second Leg of Preseason against CF Montréal
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. -â¯The Rapids will face CF Montréal in a closed-door contest on Saturday at 1:30 p.m. MT, marking their first preseason match in the second leg of matches in Orlando, Florida, before returning to Colorado.
Colorado concluded the first leg of the preseason matches in Mexico with a commanding 5-1 victory over Atlante FC. This marked their second consecutive match winning by that scoreline, following their triumph over Querétaro FC, after initially falling 3-1 in the opening match against Atlético Morelia.
CF Montréal and the Rapids have faced each other eight times in the regular season, dating back to 2012, when Montréal joined the league. Colorado boasts a record of 5-2-1 (W-L-D). The first meeting between these sides took place on May 26, 2012, at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park, with the Rapids winning 3-2. The most recent meeting took place on August 3, 2019, where the rapids won 6-3 with the help of a Kei Kamara hat trick.
In 2023, Montréal concluded the season in 10th place in the Eastern Conference. During the offseason, Montréal appointed Laurent Courtois as their new head coach and made significant signings and acquisitions, including forwards Josef Martínez and Matías Cóccaro, defenders Raheem Edwards and Ruan as well as midfielder Dominik Yankov.
This preseason match holds significant connections between the two sides. Rapids midfielder Djordje Mihailovic made a notable impact during his time at Montréal, scoring 13 goals and providing 22 assists across 61 regular season appearances from 2021-22. His 16 assists in 2021 set a new Montréal club record, contributing to their Canadian Championship victory that same year. Additionally, Rapids midfielder Kévin Cabral and Montréal defender Raheem Edwards shared the field in 2022, making 33 appearances alongside each other as members of the LA Galaxy.
All scrimmages in Orlando will be closed-door contests, but fans of the Burgundy and Blue can keep up with all the action on the official Rapids' social media accounts and coloradorapids.com for postgame coverage.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 10, 2024
- Revolution Preseason Continued Saturday at Orlando City SC - New England Revolution
- Rapids Maintain Momentum with 6-2 Preseason Win Against CF Montréal - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Draw 1-1 with New York City FC in First 2024 Coachella Valley Invitational Match - Portland Timbers
- NYCFC Draws with Portland at Coachella Valley Invitational - New York City FC
- Quakes fall in second Coachella Valley Invitational match - San Jose Earthquakes
- Legendary Chicago Fire FC Goalkeeper Zach Thornton to be Inducted into Ring of Fire at Soldier Field on April 27 - Chicago Fire FC
- 4 Takeaways from FC Cincinnati's Preseason Victory over Philadelphia Union - FC Cincinnati
- Rapids Open Second Leg of Preseason against CF Montréal - Colorado Rapids
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Colorado Rapids Announce Roster Compliance Breakdown
- Colorado Rapids Acquire $175,000 in 2024 General Allocation Money
- Colorado Rapids Waive Defender Alex Gersbach and Midfielder Sidnei Tavares
- Rapids Travel to Providence Park to Open 2024 Campaign Against Portland Timbers
- Colorado Rapids Announce Full Technical Staff for 2024 MLS Season