Rapids Acquire Denver South High Grad Conor Casey
Commerce City, Colo. (Thursday, April 19, 2007)- The Colorado Rapids completed a trade today with Toronto FC for forward Conor Casey and in exchange sent a third round draft pick in the 2008 MLS SuperDraft, an allocation and the MLS rights to Canadian player, Riley O'Neill.
The Denver, Colo. resident who played high school soccer at Denver South HS, attended the University of Portland and was named West Coast Conference Co-Player of the Year in his Freshman season.
Casey, now 25, began his professional career playing for German club Dortmund, where he scored twice in ten games with the reserve team. He was loaned to Hannover 96 during the 2001/02 season helping the team win promotion to the Bundesliga (top division). That season he scored seven goals in 19 appearances. He was loaned out again in 2003/04 to Bundesliga II side Karlsruhe SC where he rebounded in spectacular fashion after spending much of the previous season out with injuries. With Karlsruhe SC he tallied fourteen times, in 30 games. His goal on the final day of the season saved the club from relegation.
The 2000 USA Olympic team member then joined FSV Mainz 05 in June of 2004 breaking the club's transfer fee record.
Internationally, Casey's most recent appearance with the U.S. National Team was 2005; he has earned eight caps for his country. His debut for the squad was March 31, 2004 against Poland. He played 10 games for the U-23 team, scoring a goal in a 3-1 win over Armenia. That same year, he represented the U.S. on the Olympic team recording an assist to help the Americans to a fourth place finish.
In 2007, Toronto FC used their top allocation to bring Casey over from club FSV Mainz 05 of the German Bundesliga.
During his brief stint with Toronto FC, Casey came on as a substitute in both of the club's games and has played a total of 58 minutes.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 20, 2007
- Fire Signs Defender Erik Hort - Chicago Fire
- MLS Weekly Preview and Broadcast Info - MLS
- Galaxy Clasico Iii Sold Out For 2007 - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Fire Faces Kansas City Wizards Saturday - Chicago Fire
- Rapids Acquire Denver South High Grad Conor Casey - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United hire Pete Calabrese to training staff - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Colorado Rapids Announce Switchbacks FC as New USL Affiliate
- Colorado Rapids Conclude Four-Year Affiliation with Charlotte Independence
- Statement from Colorado Rapids Owner E. Stanley Kroenke on the Passing of Paul Allen
- Colorado Rapids Recall Five Players from USL Loan
- Colorado Rapids Recall Goalkeeper Andrew Dykstra from Charlotte Independence