Rangers Lose a Close One Versus the Attack, 4-3
Owen Sound, ON.: The Rangers (17-20-3-0) traveled north to face the Attack (22-15-1-2) for the third time since the winter break and for the first time this season, Owen Sound was able to sneak out a win over Kitchener despite being outshot 38-21.
Jonathan Yantsis scored two goals on the night, bringing his goal total to 28 on the year, and Greg Meireles earned to assists in the loss.
FULL GAME REPORT:
It was at 9:29 of the first period that the action on the scoresheet began. German native Manuel Alberg scored his first Ontario Hockey League goal and that put the home side up 1-0.
Donovan Sebrango took a delay of game penalty at 13:42 for flipping the puck over the glass and into the seats at the Harry Lumley Bayshore Community Centre. The Owen Sound powerplay took over and Brady Lyle netted his eighth of the season to give the Attack a 2-0 lead at 15:18.
As the first period was winding down, Jonathan Yantsis, with help from, Greg Meireles, scored his 27th goal of the season to bring the Rangers within one, 2-1.
However, just 17 seconds later, a Kaleb Pearson shot snuck through the five-hole of Lucas Pfeil to make it 3-1 with 33.1 seconds remaining in the first.
The period would come to an end with the Attack ahead in shots, 9-8.
The middle frame would begin with Luke Richardson replacing Pfeil in net. Early in the period, a Greg Meireles backhand shot from Mack Duzda's left-side resulted in a rebound that ended up on the stick of Yantsis who made good on the opportunity to net his second of the night and 28th of the season to shrink the Attack lead to 3-2 at 1:13.
At 14:45 of the middle frame, Andrew Perrott scored his first goal of the season to once again restore the two-goal advantage for the Attack.
It was 4-2 heading into the 3rd period and the Rangers led in shots, 20-17.
At the midway point of the third period, Joseph Garreffa, on assists by Kyle Gentles and Ryan Stepien, pulled the Rangers within one for the third time on the night on number four's 13th goal of the season. At 10:30 it was 4-3.
Despite a flurry of opportunities at the end of the third period and the Rangers outshooting the Attack 18-4 in the final 20 minutes, and 38-21 overall, Kitchener couldn't find a way to extend their win-streak over Owen Sound to three, dropping the contest 4-3.
The Rangers next home game is on Friday, January 11 at 7:30 pm versus the Guelph Storm. The next road game for Kitchener is on Sunday, January 27 at 2:07 pm versus the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds.
Tickets still available for all regular season home games. Purchase yours in person at the Activa Box Office at The Aud or Centre in the Square Box Office, by phone (519) 578-1570 or 1-800-265-8977, or online.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from January 9, 2019
- Bulldogs Lose 3-1 in Saginaw - Hamilton Bulldogs
- MacDougall Traded to Erie - Windsor Spitfires
- Guzda Stands Tall as New Look Attack Beat Rangers 4-3 - Owen Sound Attack
- Prosvetov Continues Strong Play; Wilde Nets Winner for Seventh Win in a Row - Saginaw Spirit
- Rangers Lose a Close One Versus the Attack, 4-3 - Kitchener Rangers
- Otters Acquire Mathew MacDougall from Spitfires - Erie Otters
- Generals Acquire Prospect Cal Schell from the Battalion in Exchange for a Draft Selection - Oshawa Generals
- Vukojevic Named to Team Cherry for the 2019 Sherwin-Williams CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - Kitchener Rangers
- Rosters Announced for 2019 Sherwin-Williams CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - OHL
- Pytlik Joins Greyhounds - Soo Greyhounds
- Rangers Acquire Joseph Rupoli from the Oshawa Generals - Kitchener Rangers
- Generals Trade Joseph Rupoli to the Rangers in Exchange for a Draft Selections - Oshawa Generals
- Attack Add Popov for 6th Round Pick - Owen Sound Attack
- Preview: Spirit Host Defending OHL Champion Bulldogs Wednesday at the Dow - Saginaw Spirit
- London and Owen Sound Complete Trade - London Knights
- Chiodo Dealt to Ottawa - Barrie Colts
- 67's Acquire Chiodo from Barrie - Ottawa 67's
- Import Forward Adam Ruzicka Heads to Wolves in Exchange for Picks - Sarnia Sting
- Generals Acquire Nicolas Mattinen from the Bulldogs in Exchange for Eric Henderson, Draft Selections - Oshawa Generals
- Bulldogs Trade Mattinen for Henderson - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Wolves Acquire Ruzicka from Sting - Sudbury Wolves
- Petes Education Fund Hiring Administrator, Introduces Second Chance 5050 Draw at Petes Games - Peterborough Petes
- Knights Fall to Storm - London Knights
- Generals Name Kyle MacLean Captain - Oshawa Generals
- Attack Acquire Woolley, Kirwin, Poirier and 4 Picks for Suzuki, Durzi and Roberts - Owen Sound Attack
- Storm Acquire Nick Suzuki, Sean Durzi, and Zach Roberts from the Owen Sound Attack - Guelph Storm
- Generals Name Kyle MacLean Captain - Oshawa Generals
- Wolves Host Central Division Rivals this Weekend - Sudbury Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kitchener Rangers Stories
- 6,646 Meals Provided from Fill the Rangers Bus Event
- Kitchener Rangers 2020 NHL Draft Recap
- Kitchener Rangers Launch Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC) Program
- Calgary Flames Name Rangers Alum Geoff Ward as Head Coach
- Joe McDonnell Gets "Another CrackÃ¢ÂÂ at Winning his Fifth Stanley Cup