Rampage Defenseman Niko Mikkola Wins Gold at IIHF World Championship
SAN ANTONIO, TX - San Antonio Rampage defenseman and St. Louis Blues prospect Niko Mikkola became a gold medalist on Sunday, as Team Finland earned a 3-1 victory over Team Canada at the IIHF World Championship in Slovakia.
Finland won its third gold medal all-time at the World Championship and first since 2011, defeating Sweden, Russia, and Canada in the playoff rounds.
Mikkola, 23, notched two goals and five points in ten tournament games, along with a plus-3 rating. A fifth-round pick of the Blues in 2015, Mikkola has now won two gold medals in international competition for Finland. He was a member of the gold medal team at the 2016 World Junior Championship.
The 6-foot-4 defenseman played his first professional season in North America in 2018-19, skating in 70 games for the Rampage and totaling two goals, nine points, and a minus-3 rating.
This was Mikkola's first appearance at the World Championship.
Season tickets for the 2019-2020 Rampage season are now on sale. To purchase your seats or for more information, call 210-444-5554 or visit sarampage.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from May 26, 2019
- Checkers Announce Home Dates for Calder Cup Finals - Charlotte Checkers
- Charlotte Checkers Win Richard F. Canning Trophy as AHL's Eastern Conference Champions - AHL
- Rampage Defenseman Niko Mikkola Wins Gold at IIHF World Championship - San Antonio Rampage
- Marlies Set for Game 6 in Charlotte - Toronto Marlies
- Wolves One Win from Calder Cup Finals - Chicago Wolves
- Loss Has Gulls on the Brink - San Diego Gulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.