Rainmen Halt Storm Winning Streak in Exciting Fashion
The Halifax Rainmen put together back to back wins after a 112-101 victory against the Island Storm Sunday afternoon inside the Scotiabank Centre. With the win Halifax also ended the Storm's eight game winning streak. The victory moves the Rainmen to 10-10 on the season and the team remains in second place in the Atlantic Division.
The Rainmen came out strong in the first quarter, however as they have experienced all season long their opponents would find a way to keep the game close after the first 12 minutes of play. With Halifax taking a 24-21 lead into the second quarter, sharp defense and explosive offense allowed the Rainmen to establish an 11 point lead, 51-40, at the end of the first half. The Island Storm proved why they were the top of the Atlantic Division early in the third quarter of play as they quickly erased the deficit and took a slight lead as time winded down. Crucial three pointers allowed the Rainmen to pull ahead and take the slight 73-67 lead into the final quarter of play. During the final 12 minutes Halifax poured on the offense, simply overwhelming the Storm at points. The Storm made one final push late in the quarter, however Halifax had done enough to ensure they would leave with a victory.
Kevin Young led all Rainmen with 29 points and 8 rebounds on the night. Emmanuel Jones also had 23 points and contributed 7 rebounds. Brandon Robinson led all Island Storm players with 22 points. Louis Birdsong Jr. had 19 points and Mike Martin pulled down 9 rebounds.
The Halifax Rainmen will be back in action inside Scotiabank Centre on Sunday January 25th against the Saint John Mill Rats. Tip Off time is 2pm with tickets still available for purchase through the Scotiabank Centre Box Office, Ticket Atlantic or by visiting www.rainmenbasketball.ca.
• Discuss this story on the National Basketball League of Canada message board...
National Basketball League of Canada Stories from January 18, 2015
- Lightning Strike Power - London Lightning
- Power Fall Short in London, 98-90 - Mississauga Power
- Rainmen Halt Storm Winning Streak in Exciting Fashion - Halifax Rainmen
- Storm Win Streak Ends in Halifax - Island Storm
- Miracles Lose Their Third Straight against the Express - Moncton Miracles
- Shorthanded Express Get Help from Bench in Victory - Windsor Express
- Another Road Game Gets Away from Express - Windsor Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Halifax Rainmen Stories
- Players, Fans and Supporters Cheated out of Championship
- Rainmen Owner to Offer Comment and Clarification
- Tonight's Championship Game Canceled
- Rainmen Viewing Party for the Championship Game at Bubba Ray's Sports Bar
- Halifax Drops Game Six After Stunning Second Half Collapse