Rainiers Win Pitchers Duel With Navarro's 10th-Inning Single
PORTLAND, Ore. - Oswaldo Navarro drove in Mike Wilson with a two-out single in the 10th inning as the Tacoma Rainiers won the opener of a five-game series with the Portland Beavers by the score of 2-1 before 4,052 fans at PGE Park Wednesday night.
Wilson drew a leadoff walk from Eulogio De La Cruz (2-5), stole second and scored on Navarro's single.
Navarro, who singled and scored the Rainiers' (66-66) other run in the sixth inning, finished 2-for-3 with a hit-by-pitch on the night.
Lost in the defeat was another gem by Beavers (57-75) starter Josh Banks, who entered the game as the PCL's active ERA leader. Banks dropped his mark to 2.92 for the season with his third straight impressive start, surrendering just a run on four hits over eight solid innings. He also struck out seven and walked none.
Craig Stansberry collected three singles in the game, one of which scored Sean Kazmar for Portland's lone run of the game. Stansberry also became the first Beaver this season to swipe two bags in a game.
Mike Koplove (1-0) earned the win with perfect ninth and 10th frames.
The Beavers got on the board in the third inning when Stansberry followed a double by Kazmar with a line drive single to right.
The Rainiers tied the game in the top of the sixth. With one out, Navarro singled and Jerry Owens doubled. A batter later, Mike Carp singled to left to score Navarro, but Owens was cut down at the plate on a strike from Chad Huffman to end the inning.
Tacoma's Garrett Olson matched Banks for six innings, holding the hosts to a run on four hits and three walks while fanning seven.
The Beavers and Rainiers continue their five-game series on Thursday at 7:05 p.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: Beavers catcher Eliezer Alfonzo extended his hitting streak to 10 games with an eighth-inning single ... Beavers infielder Russ Adams also pushed his hitting streak to eight games with a single in the eighth ... Banks has allowed five earned runs in his last 29 innings, a span of four starts; over that stretch, he has struck out 19 and walked none.
Beavers Game File
WEDNESDAY'S GAME: Tacoma 2, Beavers 1 (10 innings)
WINNING PITCHER: Koplove (1-0)
LOSING PITCHER: De La Cruz (2-5)
HOME RUNS: None
THURSDAY'S GAME: Tacoma (Jason Vargas: 3-3, 2.98) at Portland (Wade LeBlanc: 4-9, 3.87), 7:05 p.m. (Pacific); live audio broadcast on KKAD AM-1550 and www.portlandbeavers.com. Follow the Beavers on Twitter: www.twitter.com/PortlandBeavers
Hair M Guys Night Out - Fans can purchase the Hair M "Guys Night Out" Pack, which includes two tickets to the game, two hot dogs, two pretzels, two beverages, two 25% off Beavers merchandise coupons and two $10 Hair M coupons.
College Night - The final Miller Lite Thursday of the season is also College Night. Fans can purchase $5 general admission seats from the PGE Park box office on the day of the game, in addition to Miller Lite specials all evening long.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 27, 2009
- Express Edge Sounds, 2-1 - Nashville Sounds
- Bees Sting Sky Sox, 10-2 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Round Rock takes double header - Round Rock Express
- Blanco Leads I-Cubs to Sweep - Iowa Cubs
- Z's lose two in Omaha - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Fall 6-4 In Suspended Game Completion - Nashville Sounds
- Z's fall in suspended game - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Hulett Named to U.S. World Cup Team - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Zephyrs' Field Named To Team USA - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- OKC RedHawks Game Notes August 27th - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Fireworks Added to September 3rd Home Finale - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Aces Hold Off Late Vegas Rally For 6-4 Win - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Win Pitchers Duel With Navarro's 10th-Inning Single - Portland Beavers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss